VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed Baldrick, the latest makemkv does have a "dump" function and is updated often
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by dannyboy48888 View Post
    Agreed Baldrick, the latest makemkv does have a "dump" function and is updated often
    I really love that tool.

Also works very well for series DVD's and BR's to get each episode as separate mkv file. Killer feature for me is that it is able to create a separate subtitle track, for the forced sub-bits that are embedded in the normal language sub.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only time I use another tool is CloneDVD when I need the Closed Captions (Stargate Sg-1 DVD's) retained as there is no subs or when there is mastering errors (Twelve Kingdoms DVD's). Mike actually reads the forums posts and adds routines to MakeMKV often and those are the only discs I have left that I don't use MakeMKV on.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello - new member here.

I found this http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hassle+free-guide-to-ripping-your-blu+ray-collection link. It basically says to use MakeMKV to rip, then use Handbreak to reduce to 720.

I just started doing this last weekend and ripped my first 3-6 movies.

One movie went from 26 gigs to 3.3 gigs using the settings they suggest in the article.

WARNING: I have scanned the movie using VLC media player on my 27" monitor and it looks really good. I plan to move the file to a networked drive - then see how it looks on my 60 HDTV using the Samsung Smart Hub software. Bigger screen usually cause you to notice more artifact problems so ... stand by.

But I have a question for infinite.loop:

I really love that tool.

Also works very well for series DVD's and BR's to get each episode as separate mkv file.

Really? Is there a link on how to rip a series where each episode is a different file with MakeMKV? It's not obvious. I have only been using makeMKV for .. 3 days but the Queue feature of Handbreak looks ideal for extracting each chapter.

I'm totally open to learning the better techniques.

Great site you guys have. I look forward to learning more.

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fatdog View Post
    Hello - new member here.

I found this http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-hassle+free-guide-to-ripping-your-blu+ray-collection link. It basically says to use MakeMKV to rip, then use Handbreak to reduce to 720.

I just started doing this last weekend and ripped my first 3-6 movies.

One movie went from 26 gigs to 3.3 gigs using the settings they suggest in the article.

+1

A lot of the stuff suggested on this thread seems to be more orientated around reprocessing blu-rays, and keeping the AVCHD structure.

I may have got it wrong, but it seems the OP is more interested in just getting their blu-ray down to one MP4, or the like - not converting between BD50s and BD25s, etc. While the softwares he listed may be "crap", they still show the end result he's looking for.

As in the article, I'd recommend AnyDVD HD or MakeMKV and then Handbrake.

AnyDVD HD (~£70) - removes the copy protection in the background, so when you actually look at the disc in My Computer, you're effectively seeing a virtual copy - there's been no quality loss, just the copy protection has been silently stripped.

MakeMKV (free) - Dumps video streams out of the movie, with as many extra channels/streams as you'd like, into one MKV. Again, no quality loss, just dumping a video stream without protection.

Then I'd go and use Handbrake on either the disc drive, or the resultant MKV, depending on which you went for above. Handbrake does a different job to the softwares mentioned above - it reprocesses (encodes) the video, giving you a more desirable file size with minimal quality loss. For things like iPhones and other devices, the MP4 handbrake gives you is likely to be much more compatible than the MKV.

If you've got the HDD space, and don't need MP4 compatibility, then you could just dump everything with MakeMKV. It'll allow you to keep all the various audio and subtitle streams, and VLC will let you choose which ones you want to play.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Magic Blu-ray Ripper has trojan.
    Magic Blu-ray Ripper has adware.
    Magic Blu-ray Ripper has malware.
    Magic Blu-ray Ripper has virus.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are obviously some shill for this Magic DVD/BluRay Ripper seeing as all 5 of your posts, since you joined a whole month ago, are basically just promoting this crapware.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Bye bye wade7575...
    Quote Quote  
  9. wade, there was a guy whose post now appears to be deleted, probably a spammer.
    Anyway, I was replying to the spammer.

Now I really don't care if this software is any good or not and will never try it since there are better options, some of which are freeware.
    As long as you are NOT trying to sell this here, you'll do alright, don't try pushing it too hard though as resistance will come.
    Most of us think of this sort of software as crapware.

wade was a spammer too...pushing crapware.
    Last edited by Steve(MS); 26th Nov 2013 at 18:06. Reason: added
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVDx 4.1 Preview is cheaper than AnyDVD and DVDFab solutions and works perfectly and very fast:

- rip Blu-ray to MKV
    - rip and transcode Blu-ray to AVI, MOV, VOB, MP4 etc... (Apple iOS profile, P2P profiles, etc...)

http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/preview/4.1/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    DVDx 4.1 Preview is cheaper than AnyDVD and DVDFab solutions and works perfectly and very fast:

- rip Blu-ray to MKV
    - rip and transcode Blu-ray to AVI, MOV, VOB, MP4 etc... (Apple iOS profile, P2P profiles, etc...)

http://www.labdv.com/dvdx/preview/4.1/
    Oh yeah? It appears this is annual payware as well.

One can use dvdfab decrypter or MakeMkv freely and they have been proven to be reliable.
    Nobody else has even mentioned this product before now.
    It might be a good product but I remain a skeptic until it has a known history.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DVDx is known in VideoHelp since 2002 with DVDx 1.5 release...

DVDx 4.0 Open Edition is not discontinued and is still free but require DVDFab Passkey for Bluray (not free).

DVDFab Decrypter is not free.
    MakeMKV is not easy for all users and is not free.

DVDx 4.1 Preview contains makemkvcon to decrypt Bluray.

DVDx 4.1 requires money to ensure further development as freeware are just ripped-off (like DVDx 2 in the past) by commercial companies and can't last for long then...

So yes it's annual fee, but cheap and I guess it's worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    No, it is currently free for 30 days and free users can update as new beta versions arrive. It may be strictly payware some day, but it isn't now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    No, it is currently free. It may be payware some day, but it isn't now.
    I downloaded it from the official website and installed it in October and it told me I could use it for 30 days and after that I had to buy it. I don't think it's free anymore. Maybe you got grandfathered in. Try installing it on a system that never had it before and I bet you see the same thing I did. For what it's worth, I decided not to buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must update makemkv all the time because the beta expires.

But the best is of course anydvd hd. Just ripping and nothing else. It's worth $100.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    No, it is currently free. It may be payware some day, but it isn't now.
    I downloaded it from the official website and installed it in October and it told me I could use it for 30 days and after that I had to buy it. I don't think it's free anymore. Maybe you got grandfathered in. Try installing it on a system that never had it before and I bet you see the same thing I did. For what it's worth, I decided not to buy it.
    I prefer converting DVD video to something other than MKV, so the only reason I keep MakeMKV around is to answer questions. My installed copy is usually not current. So yes, I downloaded MakeMKV today and installed it over an existing expired copy to see if it is still free. It is. As I recall, the program asks users to purchase at the end of the trial period, but so far purchase has not been required to download a new copy.
    Quote Quote  
  17. DVDx 4.1 is less than $100
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDx 4.1 is less than $100
    I'll pass. I have even less use for DVDx 4.1 than I have for MakeMKV. Besides, this thread is about Blu-Ray rippers not DVD rippers.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer converting DVD video to something other than MKV, so the only reason I keep MakeMKV around is to answer questions. My installed copy is usually not current. So yes, I downloaded MakeMKV today and installed it over an existing expired copy to see if it is still free. It is. As I recall, the program asks users to purchase at the end of the trial period, but so far purchase has not been required to download a new copy.
    Ah. I understand now what is happening. It's a sneaky way to make you think you HAVE to purchase it at the end of the trial period if you don't pay attention, but really you can just download another trial copy. Thanks for the explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  20. DVDx 4.1 runs makemkvcon so rips DVD and Blu-ray and HD-DVD ...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    DVDx 4.1 runs makemkvcon so rips DVD and Blu-ray and HD-DVD ...
    So you're using someone else's decryption program and charging people to register your program. That's convenient for you.

No thanks.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 9th Dec 2013 at 11:22.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVDx 4.1 runs makemkvcon so rips DVD and Blu-ray and HD-DVD ...
    Wonderful, but how are potential users supposed to know that? DVD ripping is certainly mentioned in an obvious way both at the program's home page and at the the program's page in VideoHelp's tools section. The program's ability to rip HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are not. Perhaps because HD-DVD and Blu-Ray ripping requires installing a component borrowed from another program, MakeMKV?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    DVDFab Decrypter is not free.

DVDx 4.1 Preview contains makemkvcon to decrypt Bluray.
    So DVDx 4.1 does use MakeMKV to do its decrypting/ripping yet above you state "(MakeMKV)is not easy for all users and is not free".

Since I don't know any different, I would think you have a connection with this software that goes beyond being a consumer/user.
    I find your statements misleading and not true at the very least, perhaps your DVDx 4.1 needs this in order to be sold.

Just in case you are not aware of the meaning of the term "rip or ripping", it means to decrypt and copy to.
    It appears DVDx 4.1 can't do that without unauthorized use or another software, MakeMKV...unless you are splitting profits with MakeMKV?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    Since I don't know any different, I would think you have a connection with this software that goes beyond being a consumer/user.
    Very likely true. There is a link to download Starbuck's FreePlayer at DVDx's website.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    He is a moderator at their forum, and look at this post, if you are in doubt about him being connected to this software: http://www.labdv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141&sid=278b73f53a2d6a95eeeec921e2ed5a3c

I too would like to know if he is contributing part of his proceeds to the author of MakeMKV.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 9th Dec 2013 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Nobody here tells about program features... The latest debate is meaningless: MakeMkv uses FFmpeg, DVDFab uses FFmpeg, most 'freeware' install trojans or annoying tracking software...

I guess DVDx 4.1 is user-friendly while it relies on powerful backends, that's its value for users.

I've been contacted, even a little under pressure, by monetization companies but I rejected all as most users don't want to be bothered by adware and trojans...

Freeware that works are mostly from college (say developed by students) like FreeBSD and FFmpeg. BTW, Mac OS X isn't free for a FreeBSD kernel.

As you can see all 'freeware' finally disappear time after time (DVD Decrypter, IFOedit, DVDShrink, etc), or become 'adware' (MediaInfo etc) and I'm sad to see what's Linux becoming with Red Hat, now Ubuntu and Android... And I'm strongly against a world where all is 'free' if you say 'yes' to Big Brother (yes Google) and spend your time watching ads...

I tried donations in the past, didn't work...

Therefore I manage in between a free trial/limited version and a complete version at good price, so I'll be able to add more features and keep good value for customers.

BTW I understand you prefer to download trials from MakeMkv and DVDFab to not pay and it's your choice, but I've used both before deciding to code DVDx 4.1 to offer a better user-friendly experience...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Your whole post is meaningless seeing that your CRAPWARE=DVDx4.1=CRAPWARE doesn't "rip" on its own but instead is STOLEN=DVDx4.1 from another source.
    So your DVDx4.1CRAPWARE doesn't even belong in this thread.

It's not even a good value either seeing that anyone has to CRAPWARE=DVDx4.1=PAY FOR YEAR AFTER YEAR=DVDx4.1CRAPWARE which amounts to a goodly amount of money over time.

I have no idea what else your CRAPWARE=DVDx4.1 does but based on what we know...likely you stole other freewares to do conversion.
    Your CRAPWARE=DVDx4.1 is like a lot of other software conversion packages out there, stealing from free sources then put up for sale to prey on the ignorant.
    Dime a dozen, there must be hundreds of these crapwares (DVDx4.1 is crapware) out there.
    Yet conversion is out of line with this thread as it is for ripping not converting.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I don't know who you are but I don't like your comment, maybe you're nut or you've some interest with another product..

Anyway, at least you're not capable of reading simple English: DVDx 4.1 does ripping, sounds more than clear.

You don't see difference with MakeMkv, so buy new glasses...

We've been stolen DVDx 2 in the past and was very annoying but we've to deal with it, not insulting people.

DVDx 4.1 doesn't steal anything because makemkvcon is done by its author to be used in third party software, even he provided recently a new libmakemkv to facilitate...

Our relation with MakeMkv author is none of your business, providing we offer an all-in-one easy-to-use solution for average users with advanced tuning for advance users...

We provide DVDx 4.0 source code and binaries for Linux, all free so I don't accept any criticism for someone I don't know what he did for the others and how he earns its money...

DVDx 4.1 licensing is very tricky and source code publishing will be limited...

And still don't know what you provide or propose as Bluray ripping solution, maybe you're affiliated to DVDFab..
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Starbuck2010, you are the only one here that is associated with any commercial software programs. Your continued spamming of this forum with information about your new version of DVDx is what raised our suspicions about you.

We don't care about your program or its features. We know that free programs can do as well or better. And those programs are not disappearing as you state. X264 isn't going anywhere. BD Rebuilder, Handbrake, VidCoder, DVD Rebuilder, HCenc....we could list useful, free programs for quite some time that can be used for blu ray and dvd backups and conversions.

Its the decryption process that is trickier, as free choices are dwindling there. And you are using MakeMKV's decryption process. Using this decrypter for your own purposes is one thing, but using it within a commercial product is entirely different. If you do not have direct permission from the author of MakeMKV, this makes your program a scam. So yes, your relationship with them is very much OUR BUSINESS. I'd suggest banning your 4.1 program from these forums until this is cleared up.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7008

The way library works, it launches a MakeMKV instance in background and communicates with MakeMKV in order to get decryption keys - so working MakeMKV is required for the library to function.
    Doesn't it mean that you must buy or use latest makemkv beta to get dvdx 4.1 working?
    Quote Quote