VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I suggest you call Dell support. They will probably advise you to use the restore disk to set it back to factory spec. I've never had this problem while capturing HDV streams.
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/business/notebooks/laptop-vostro-1014/pd.aspx?refid=lapt...s=inbsd1&s=bsd
    brother I have called them, and they say they have never faced such a problem before. On the other hand, we cant restore the System coz it came with free DOS... although I could see a 100 MB OEM System Reserved Partition but that was all cleaned during CLEAN ALL process I performed to convert mistakenly made Dynamic disk to Basic Disk....

Another Prob... I am not able to install Windows XP SP3, i don't know why but it just don't start options for formating and installing windows...

Right now, installing Windows Professional... and wishing if something good happens...

Thanx for all advices.....

strange is, no one except you two came in......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    might be time for a new laptop. or buy the optional jvc hard drive that attaches directly to that cam, the DR-HD100-40 Hard disk recorder, 40GB capacity.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM

i bought whole of this laptop just for this purpose only... and believe me, I am really not a Rich Man.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    return the laptop as defective? and get that jvc hard drive for the cam, that way the camera is once again portable.

that video camera is worth 20 of those laptops at least....
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aucksy View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I suggest you call Dell support. They will probably advise you to use the restore disk to set it back to factory spec. I've never had this problem while capturing HDV streams.
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/in/en/business/notebooks/laptop-vostro-1014/pd.aspx?refid=lapt...s=inbsd1&s=bsd
    brother I have called them, and they say they have never faced such a problem before. On the other hand, we cant restore the System coz it came with free DOS... although I could see a 100 MB OEM System Reserved Partition but that was all cleaned during CLEAN ALL process I performed to convert mistakenly made Dynamic disk to Basic Disk....

Another Prob... I am not able to install Windows XP SP3, i don't know why but it just don't start options for formating and installing windows...

Right now, installing Windows Professional... and wishing if something good happens...

Thanx for all advices.....

strange is, no one except you two came in......
    I doubt there are Dell XP drivers for a new laptop design.

I've asked before but are you sure you have installed all the Dell Win7 drivers for that model? If not, that is your problem.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there is something strange about it... The dell driver CD they have sent with the machine contains no Drivers... so i downloaded them from Website and installed them all (in sequence) after reinstalling OS but there were some conflicts but after that.. device manager showed everything installed and up to date.....

then tried recording.. same bad video....

wats happening... I am the only victim in the world....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Device manager doesn't know Dell drivers. You should ask Dell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    interesting you first said you had win7 64bit installed. dell doesn't have any 64bit drivers for the vostro 1014.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W732&catid=-1&dateid=-1&...nConsent=False

without low level drivers computers can't work properly, at this point you should probably take it to a computer support shop and have someone will tech experience fix it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but afterwards I had installed 32bit and installed all the drivers from the website.... but its not working... can you please tell me what do we CALL this problem... i mean what do those spots are called in Video world.. so that we can search web for causes and hence solution...

you can easily find computer users here but not experts...not even on their workshops... they know hardware more than software...
    Last edited by aucksy; 7th Dec 2010 at 03:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but afterwards I had installed 32bit and installed all the drivers from the website
    but the computer still has the exact same problem as it did with no drivers which is odd.

video dropout is as close as you are going to get to a term.

use a different firewire cable to eliminate a bad cable.

have you determined if the firewire port ever worked properly? can you capture DVavi? if you don't have a miniDV cam, put the jvc into DVavi mode, shoot a test clip and use winDV to capture some video from it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have also tried using a different (but longer one) firewire cable and yes firewire port is working in DV mode..... good video !!

with the longer firewire cable, its not even detecting the camera in HDV mode..

should I try in DV mode with that longer one cable... ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can we trust on Fixya.com. I am ready to pay if they are reliable ? Do you/your friend have any experience
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok. if it's working in DV mode then the firewire port is most likely ok. DVavi and HDV transfer at the same 25mbps so if you can capture one then the other should work also.

are you using high quality cables? they should have a metal braided insulator you can see if it's clear or a thick fairly inflexible cable if it's black.

start with a brand new tape in the cam, preferably a high quality HDV or pro miniDV one. record a new HDV test video and try to capture with HDVsplit. use the standard 1080 50i or 60i HDV settings whichever the cam is PAL/NTSC. try both cables and see what happens.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i've never heard of anyone using fixya.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aedipuss .. I have bought this Laptop just to eliminate the cost of TAPES... I am not at all using tapes in the whole process...and my problem also, is not at all related to tapes anywhere.... I am recording directly on the Hard Disk of the laptop.... I hope you are understanding my point... Don't you people do this type of recording... its so much cost and time saving....

I am just having two cables, and I doubt if they are high quality cables as someone in this Organisation may have purchased from local shops only.... The old one is shorter one and the other is Long.. Short one at least helps laptop to detect the cam but that longer one don't do that....

Is there any difference between the quality when Recorded on HDV/DV tape and then capture it on to the pc hard disk and directly recording the Stream on to the pc hard disk ?

i can't judge but I feel that there is some loss when directly recording on Hard Disk... Whats your experience.. ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no i don't really understand why anyone would not record to tape, as it's cheap, and the best backup there is. any little disruption in the laptop can ruin hours worth of shooting if it corrupts a file. HDV is compressed mpeg-2 and a single frame dropped can cause the loss of an entire second of video. that and capturing should never be done to the hard drive the o.s. is using. since you only have one you are bound to have problems.

the quality of captured video is the same off tape or direct.

the tape i recommend/use - panasonic dvm63pq about $2/each
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582864-REG/Panasonic_AY_DVM63PQUS_AY_DV63PQUS_Mini_DV_Pro.html
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    brother thats an genius advice... but we are an Spiritual Educational Institution running on Donations !!! So we are ok with Direct Recording...

any way .. how much chances are there for the videos to get corrupted...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tapes may be more expensive there but are cheap here. I routinely use Panasonic $2.79/hr PQ tapes for both DV and HDV. For special projects I'll use the HDV tapes.
    http://protape.stores.yahoo.net/paay3.html

I always record to tape even when live transferring to the computer as you are. This gives an automatic backup. Recording direct to a computer does save capture time but it is nice to have the tape backup. I often record live events this way. In some cases the event is streamed live to the web. One can even edit while the event is recording although I do that on a separate networked computer.

I haven't encountered your dropout problems. I suspect it is a driver issue. Keep in mind IEEE-1394 has a maximum cable length of 4.5m (15ft). Longer lengths require repeaters in daisy chain.
    http://www.synchrotech.com/product-1394/firewire-hubs-repeaters_04_ub-firerepeater-800.html
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone of you please recommend us a good External HDD for Video Capturing purposes...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aucksy View Post
    Can anyone of you please recommend us a good External HDD for Video Capturing purposes...
    USB2 drives are all risky for capture. USB2 uses a software disk controller that is subject to OS interrupts. Use the internal drive then copy to external.

eSATA is the preferred connection. eSATA uses a hardware disc controller similar to a second drive in a desktop.
    Quote Quote