VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have to preface this by saying that i have sworn off itunes because it is not ever working for me. Every time I open it, it shuts down automatically and says there is an error:

Product
    iTunes

Problem
    Stopped working

Date
    12/2/2010 12:01 AM

Status
    Not Reported

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: iTunes.exe
    Application Version: 10.1.0.56
    Application Timestamp: 4ce4a7b6
    Fault Module Name: gdiplus.dll
    Fault Module Version: 5.2.6001.18175
    Fault Module Timestamp: 492e2378
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0002c1f6
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fd00
    Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
    Additional Information 3: fd00
    Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Anyway, due to this problem, I turned to other programs to sync my ipod and have run into some problems. I used Yamipod to restore my ipod, and then synced with this program. According to my computer, my ipod is nearly full, but every time I turn it on, it gives me that blank grey screen with the little apple icon, and then goes to language selection. Once I go through that, the ipod says it is empty.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that system running windows me ? ... if so for itunes you may find this link helpful as to the issue with itunes ... the gdiplus.dll file was not part of the operating system at that time.

Apple also made changes to the formatting of the database which may be why your now seeing nada on the units screen and beware of updating firmware ... it almost always renders these application useless ... which is how apple likes to keep it.

Yamipod has reported issue with ipod touch ... yet there are other applications like Floora 6.1, Gtkpod and Copytrans manager

The later being more updated.

Quote Quote  
  3. I have an ipod classic 160gb so the touch issue is nonexistent. i have tried those other apps and they dont seem to help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think iTunes ran under WinME, anyway... primary reason being that it 'requires' or wants one of the more recent versions of Quicktime, that don't run under Win9X/ME (possibly even Win2K). Unless you're running an older version of iTunes, in which case it might not have proper support for the Touch. (Edit: According to the crash report, you're running at least iTunes 10. Did you force it to work under WinME?)

You might try WinAmp. I don't know if other programs like MediaMonkey will also work under WinME.

Unfortunately, in this case, you do probably need to be running at least WinXP to work with the iPod Touch. I don't know if you could get away with using something like the KernelExt project, but it's probably better not to risk that, for this purpose.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. but i dont have a touch i have a classic
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OS version 6 isn't WinMe so that's not an issue. iTunes is an issue though, it's a horrible piece of crap, it did the same thing to my iPod Classic (120 gb). Use CopyTrans Manager, it works great on the Classic, just ignore the alerts regarding the Touch and iPhone. It also works without iTunes being installed. The only thing you'll miss out on is firmware updates.
    It's not quite them same experience as using iTunes (thank god) but it will only take a few minutes to sort yourself out on it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What version of windows are you running are you running vista? I'm sure YamiPod's instructions are just like Floola and that you need to have at least once setup the Ipod with Itunes and transfered one song then you can use it. I have a 120 and I think I have the file setup of a default system with one song added and removed, I don't think it will work for you as the database is obscured now by the serial number.

The problem you seem to be having is that you are creating a database that the Ipod is not taking, what you need to do is check that you have selected the right version of Ipod, I would try floola more than Yamipod, I switched years ago. I'd also say try winamp. DO NOT use booth at the same time or you will corrupt your database and the same thing will happen.

If you can't get that to work go to an apple store and ask them to help load a file. Heck I'm pretty sure once you plug it into iTunes it will fix the database.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by gallowayk View Post
    OS version 6 isn't WinMe so that's not an issue. iTunes is an issue though, it's a horrible piece of crap, it did the same thing to my iPod Classic (120 gb). Use CopyTrans Manager, it works great on the Classic, just ignore the alerts regarding the Touch and iPhone. It also works without iTunes being installed. The only thing you'll miss out on is firmware updates.
    It's not quite them same experience as using iTunes (thank god) but it will only take a few minutes to sort yourself out on it.
    I downloaded copytrans and went into copytrans doctor. the program correctly identifies my ipod as classic but when i try to do a diagnostic or search for deleted files it tells me "the ipod is formatted with unsupported ntfs file system. you probably have a mac formatted ipod.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait wait wait wait wait WAIT!

is your ipod formatted NTFS? If so thats your problem right there! It needs to be Fat 32
    Quote Quote  
  10. YES! Finally a breakthough!!!!! The file system is in fact NTFS!
    Quote Quote  
  11. how can i make the file system to revert to fat?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't do it - at least, not without losing what data you have on the drive.

Normally, I'd say you could do a Restore using iTunes (they used to have stand-alone iPod updaters that could do it, a long time ago), but as iTunes is crashing for you, I'm not sure. Have you tried changing iTunes' option to automatically sync the iPod when you plug it in? If it doesn't automatically try to sync but does, in fact, recognize the iPod, then you can have iTunes Restore the iPod.
    (Note: Yes, Restore does wipe/reformat the iPod, so naturally, don't do it unless you're willing to lose whatever you have on the drive. How did you set it up as NTFS, though? I thought iTunes only let users set their iPods up as FAT32 (Windows), and HFS+ (Mac).)

Oh, and if the system you're using your iPod/iTunes with is the system you're commonly using/working with videos on/etc., you might want to update your Computer Details in your VH profile. :P
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am so willing to lose all the data on the ipod no problem - as long as the data on my hardrive remains? :-0 how can i go about doing this? i have tried right clicking my ipod in my computer and going down to format, but i keep getting a message saying this is not possible.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking for free tools all morning but there doesn't seem to be any you can try: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/ but I've never used this version and it may lack the advance conversion options. Going from NTFS to Fat32 is advance but the otherway around is actually built in to windows.

What you can try is to move your files from the ipod to a folder on the computer. Format the ipod to fat 32, (open a comnad prompt type format <ipod Drive> /FS:FAT32 /q /x) then copy the files back. Replace <ipod Drive> with the actual Drive letter.

However I'm concerned about one thing. If the format is fat32 perhaps also the partitioning on the drive is messed up too, the ipod has a small hidden partition if that was also messed up you just need to restore, either at a friends itunes or a quick trip to an apple store if there is one near you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah; I'm not sure that if you format your iPod outside of iTunes (for example, as a normal drive in Windows Explorer), whether or not it'll still be recognized properly as an iPod by iTunes and other software.

Try what I mentioned, above. In iTunes (without the iPod connected!), select Preferences... from the Edit menu. Click on the Devices tab in the preferences window, and place a checkmark in the "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" box. Click OK to close the preferences window.
    (I'm not sure if any other settings need to be changed... I haven't used iTunes in a long while, not since my 4G iPod stopped working.)

Then, try connecting the iPod. If iTunes recognizes it as an iPod and doesn't crash, then you can try Restoring it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. but i cannot open itunes ... it closes immediately before i can even have a look at things. this is why i cant restore things
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even when the iPod isn't connected? Have you also tried opening iTunes after rebooting (also without having connected the iPod)?

If none of that works, you might try downloading the latest version of iTunes, then uninstalling iTunes and Quicktime (might be good to reboot after uninstalling, I don't know for sure), then running the installer you just downloaded (to re-install iTunes and Quicktime).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you willing to loose whats on the ipod then do the format first, no harm in trying. If you have time and space try the copying of the files too.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Even when the iPod isn't connected? Have you also tried opening iTunes after rebooting (also without having connected the iPod)?

If none of that works, you might try downloading the latest version of iTunes, then uninstalling iTunes and Quicktime (might be good to reboot after uninstalling, I don't know for sure), then running the installer you just downloaded (to re-install iTunes and Quicktime).

yes even when ipod is not connected i cannot play music, etc.

i have uninstalled and reinstalled many many many many many times ;-0 honestly i feel like throwing my ipod in an incinerator lol
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got a windows disc and some time on your hands?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by bigstusexy View Post
    Got a windows disc and some time on your hands?
    i don't actually no
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Were you able to follow my instructions to format it to Fat32? I say lets work on that because it will be the quickest and easiest.

Copy all the folders except the ipod_control folder (make sure you are set to see hidden files) You'll want to create a folder with the name Ipod_controls where you copied the other folders. Then go into this folder, also go into this folder on your ipod, copy ever folder under it to your computer except the music folder. This will copy your ipod database but not the actual music, this will help us not have to restore or anything later.

Close the ipod folder and run the formatting insructions I gave you. If all goes fine copy back all the folders you saved, and disconnect and check the ipod. If it shows music, good plug it back in, and remove all songs using floola then re-add what you like.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm thing of getting a Apple iPod touch, 32GB (Newest Model) and was wondering if it and the software work good with Windows XP ? I notice its made by Apple/Mac. I have a lot of music (MP3 format of course) already on my computer, can I just drag and drop to the iPod with no problems ?

TC
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should start your own thread. In short you should use iTunes, I don't use or like it so I'm not sure if they dropped xp support check the website. No you can not just drag and drop it onto it but you can through iTunes.
    Quote Quote