VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I just built a new Win7 PRO 64 bit PC with an i7-950 processor and 12GB of RAM. For testing, I'm starting with 2 Samsung blu-ray readers. I have a large collection of blu-ray & DVD movies and would like to (rip???) all of them into an ISO format. As I understand it, xbmc is capable of playing ISO files. I am thinking ISO as I don't want to affect the quality of my movies at all. I also want the ability to modify in the future if my needs change. My only point of indecision is if I will copy everything or just movie, audio and chapters? I'll have to figure that out...

My question is... Is there a software out there that will allow me to copy several movies at once? My system has 2 drives in it currently, but I plan to grow to 5 if this works? I've never really played around ripping anything since MP3's many years ago. Any advice on the best product is also appreciated.

ehcah
    Last edited by Baldrick; 2nd Dec 2010 at 10:26. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the title so it better describes you problem.

Have you tried any rippers like dvdfab or anydvd?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you. Based on reading off the main site I am reading about both those products now. DVDFab looks like it can rip to ISO. I can't really tell for sure with SlySoft AnyDVD HD?

I am very new to this whole process. I don't have a clue when it comes to encryption and all that jazz. I was hoping to find 1 product that can do everything. I am going to guess it won't be that simple.

Either way, I'm downloading an eval of DVDFab and hoping that it is fully functioned. From reading, I know lots of people can rip movies 1 at a time. I've got a few hundred of each and want to make short work of the job.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Update... DVDFab does not allow me to read two blu-ray's at once or have the application open in two separate instances.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anydvdhd can rip to iso , just right click on the anydvd notification tray icon. But I doubt it can rip from two drives though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried AnyDVDHD and it can rip from two drives at the same time. I was ripping DVDs, but it will probably work for BDs also.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Guys. Do either of you have any idea why the the non registered copy is locking out my drives? Don't get me wrong. Once I find the best solution, I will definitely purchase it. Does the Eval copy have serious limitations?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think the eval version had any limitations except for time. My paid version sees all three of my drives, a Asus BD ROM, A Pioneer BD burner and a Sony DVD burner. I usually set it to default to the Asus BD ROM for BD rips, but the other two drives are available for ripping also.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    redwudz: Do you prefer the SlySoft suite to DVDFab? It's just a curiosity question. Until I tried DVDFab, I had assumed it would be the product I would purchase. Now, I'm really not sure? It's possible that the name AnyDVD HD (not blu-ray) put me off? Regardless, they have bundles. Being new at this, do I need other products? I will want to rip Blu-Ray and DVD to ISO. I don't have a clue about encryption, so I'm hoping these products take care of it. The only other nice to have will be finding a way to play my movies on my iPad from my NAS. I believe that would warrant a separate thread though, if I can not find the solution myself. I'm pretty sure these products only compress the original into playable formats. I'm hoping to find a product I can put on my network that will sit between my iPad and NAS to convert/stream on the fly....
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I really haven't tried DVDFab since I purchased AnyDVDHD. Slysoft does keep up with new disc releases really well, especially with BDs. I get updates every couple of weeks. AnyDVD decrypts the disc within a minute or two after you put it in the reader. Then you can rip or convert it to any format.

ISO is not really a format, it's a container, similar to a folder on your computer. I convert my BD discs to MKV most of the time, another container. I use H.264 encoding with it. Then I burn them to dual layer DVD disks for backup if one of the hard drives fail on my video server. I watch my video over a gigbit LAN system from the server.

BD>MKV conversion takes quite a bit of CPU power. It takes me about 5 - 6 hours for most conversions. I use RipBot and do a two pass encode. The quality is very good, IMO. I can also convert the MKV to a regular DVD and still have decent quality.

Last comment. Most BD rips are around 30 - 40GB. The main movie may be as small as 15GB or close to 30GB. That would use up too much HDD space for me. I still retain the original BDs if I want original quality. An ISO of the BD rip will be the same size as the rip, or maybe a small bit larger, so no advantage to me for HDD storage.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you once again for your reply. After a reboot, AnyDVD recognized both drives without difficulty. My first test was copying Die Another Day to ISO (7.9GB). No problems. Next up, Avatar Blu-ray. I expect it will be a much larger file. I am curious to see how long the process will take. Assuming that your test of 2 DVD's proves true with Blu-ray's also, I will gladly purchase the full license.

I am fortunate in that I have just turned up a new NAS. I went with 2 x 3U, 16 drive chassis's so I can have one replicating to the other. As we all know Raid is isn't a backup, but at least I now have 2 Raid 6 arrays and could theoretically have 2 drives fail in each before I lose data. I have about 11TB (8 x 2TB) of usable space now and have plenty of room for growth. Your numbers on blu-ray copies did surprise me a bit as I had budgeted based on 25TB per every day movie. I still have to decide how much of the actual movie I will keep.

Out of curiosity... If MKV is another container, why chose it over ISO? I see that MKV is a favorite within AV circles.
    Quote Quote