VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I have an SD-60 panasonic camcorder that records in AVCHD full HD. I have some files that I've taken off the memory card and tried playing in VLC player on a relatively new (thus quite powerful) mac.

The video image appears to have some fuzziness around the edges of things. To exaggerate the problem, a paused image whilst panning at moderate speed looks like the attached image.
    When actually playing, it looks almost like ghosting (but I dont think it is...). It's just not the HD clarity it's meant to be. Short video also attached.

They happen to be .MTS files as well on the memory card.

Please let me know if you need more images/video/info to diagnose this problem.

Thanks so much for your help
    D
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-11-30.png
Views:	344
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	4477  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video is interlaced. From VLC, select Video>Deinterlace>On

EDIT: Also make sure Video>Deinterlace Mode is set to Yadif or Yadif 2x
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot! Worked!

Whats the difference between Yadif and Yadif 2x??

Also, If I use a program to edit these videos, what would the best settings be for smooth video (assuming that I want high quality)??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by domyue View Post
    Whats the difference between Yadif and Yadif 2x??
    The original video is 50i - 50 half frames per second.
    'Yadif' converts 50i to 25p - 25 progressive frames per second.
    'Yadif 2x' converts 50i to 50p - 50 progressive frames per second.
    Yadif 2x will give smoother playback, but 50p isn't as widely supported as 25p - especially online services like YouTube etc.

Also, If I use a program to edit these videos, what would the best settings be for smooth video (assuming that I want high quality)??
    I'd probably edit in 50i. Depending on where the final video is going to be watched, you could export/render to either 50i or 25p:
    50i for playing back on a standalone TV
    25p if the video is going to be viewed online.

EDIT: Some video editors might not do a good job converting 50i to 25p - you might want to export as 50i, then convert to 25p with a separate program.
    This post shows the quality of various de-interlacing methods:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/292642-Deinterlacing-Tips-and-Good-news-that-i-foun...=1#post1784755
    Last edited by intracube; 30th Nov 2010 at 15:08.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if I play on a normal TV (capable of HD), then I should keep it 50i. Not 50p?

I'm thinking of using either final cut express or adobe premiere elements

The problem with FCE is that apparently I can't use .MTS files direct. The only way for the program to recognise it is for it to capture it from the device itself.... I don't know why this is.

Anyone have any ideas on a work-around/other good program?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So if I play on a normal TV (capable of HD), then I should keep it 50i. Not 50p?

I'm thinking of using either final cut express or adobe premiere elements

The problem with FCE is that apparently I can't use .MTS files direct. The only way for the program to recognise it is for it to capture it from the device itself.... I don't know why this is.

Anyone have any ideas on a work-around/other good program?
    Your camcorder shoots AVCHD 50i so you should edit and pass to the TV as 50i.

Final Cut (FCP or FCE) don't native edit AVCHD MTS. They convert to Apple Intermediate Codec. The reason is native AVCHD editing requires more CPU than the typical Mac has. Those using the Mac Pro tower will still normally edit AVCHD to a digital intermediate.

Your current P4 is not adequate for AVCHD in Premiere Elements. Consider a quad core Intel upgrade.
    Last edited by edDV; 30th Nov 2010 at 17:01.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got an i3 iMac with 4 gb RAM currently.

I've heard something about FCE4 being able to recognise MTS files as long as you have a .CLI file accompanying it.

Any truth in this??

(several people here says it worked for them:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=273751
    http://albertech.net/2010/04/importing-canon-mts-video-into-final-cut-express)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the Mac you usually copy the flash ram to the HDD (using Panasonic software or manually). You need the full directory not just the MTS files. Then you import that directory into iMovie or FCE. The import process converts to AIC*.

Remember to back up the flash ram directory. That is your only camera master.

* Note that 1080i in AIC creates ~60 GB/hr files. These are too large to archive. Archive the camera master directory (~9-10 GB/hr) instead.
    Last edited by edDV; 30th Nov 2010 at 17:34.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've set my panasonic to record at full 1080, but the folder of one hour is still 15gb. Strange?

Flash ram directory - does this mean that I just have to copy the entire AVCHD folder (including all its sub-folders?). This is what I have done anyway.

So iMovie should recognise them then. I'll try later. If I import them, you say iMovie will convert to AIC - does that change the MTS file to some other file?? Will it lose quality etc?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've set my panasonic to record at full 1080, but the folder of one hour is still 15gb. Strange?

Flash ram directory - does this mean that I just have to copy the entire AVCHD folder (including all its sub-folders?). This is what I have done anyway.

So iMovie should recognise them then. I'll try later. If I import them, you say iMovie will convert to AIC - does that change the MTS file to some other file?? Will it lose quality etc?

Thanks
    I think the SD-60 records at 17 Mb/s for 1920x1080i or 1440x1080i. Yes that would be about 15GB /hr.

Save (archive) the entire folder to maintain all the metadata. The added files are small.

AIC conversion decompresses AVCHD h.264 to intra compressed frames (no GOPs). These can be accessed to the frame during timeline operations without the CPU bogging down to decode h.264 GOPs. The cost is file size blows up about 4x. AIC maintains 1920x1080i in 4:2:0 color space.

When you export from the timeline, AIC is converted to the selected export format.

Note 1: The iMovie menus try to sucker the newb into 960x540p conversion. Don't do this. Go for 1920x1080 AIC despite all the warnings.

Note 2: Yes AIC conversion causes two recodes in the workflow but conversions to and from the AIC codec have low loss. Still, archive the camera full quality original AVCHD directory for future use.
    Last edited by edDV; 30th Nov 2010 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to highjack this thread, but I've been reading with great interest as I'm considering upgrading from an old Canon miniDV camera (standard def.) to the Panasonic HDC-SD60, and the discussion re 50i vs 50/25p and editing considerations is good information.

@domyue: what are your impressions of the SD60 so far with regards image quality, ease of use etc (is it wife-friendly)?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I love it - its really good. Surprisingly small and light. Just press a button or open/close the viewfinder is all you have to do.
    Quote Quote