VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a PC or screen with touch screen capabilities for the kitchen/dine room. When cooking, cleaning or entertaining just outside these rooms (where I will output to the TV) I want a PC that wont require a mouse/keyboard to take up space on the bench.

It is not for gaming/vid editing, just general net use and mainly for media player purposes. I want my media library on there (or networked) so I can have access to it to listen to music, watch tv and display our photos.

At the moment the laptop comes out but is a pain, so looking for something permanent that fits in. If i need a mouse, keyboard it can be pulled out but for simple music/movie control I want the touch screen.

The The MEDIONŽ AKOYAŽ P4020 D was a perfect fit but for one problem, no video out to send to outdoor telly.

So anyway does anyone have any advice on an all in one touch screen PC or perhaps you can buy just monitors that are touchscreen and I can link it to a PC that I could store elsewhere and continually upgrade if needed?

Options seem limited in the touch screen department, just looking for advice/info, all in one or a seperate monitor to a PC, what would be best value and are there any pitfalls anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Build the PC you want and just add a touch-screen monitor. It is basically a monitor with a mouse cable attached for the "touch" part. Just load a driver. They are not too terribly expensive.

Biggest problem on a flat-panel monitor is people poking it too hard, the screen can be damaged fairly easily. This was not an issue on CRT models. NO pen or hard object, GENTLE finger ONLY.

Haven't dealt with enough to have a brand preference but they are very simple to install.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The last time that I shopped a touch-screen, the only stumbling block was the OS: Windows 7 was a requirement.

Not certain if other OS's would work, I'd just read the fine print.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    Build the PC you want and just add a touch-screen monitor. It is basically a monitor with a mouse cable attached for the "touch" part. Just load a driver. They are not too terribly expensive.

Biggest problem on a flat-panel monitor is people poking it too hard, the screen can be damaged fairly easily. This was not an issue on CRT models. NO pen or hard object, GENTLE finger ONLY.

Haven't dealt with enough to have a brand preference but they are very simple to install.
    When looking at various all in one models a common things was 'touch' v 'muli touch' with the latter being better. Are these part of the software running the machine or the monitor itself? I am thinking a custom build will be better.

Originally Posted by classfour
    The last time that I shopped a touch-screen, the only stumbling block was the OS: Windows 7 was a requirement.

Not certain if other OS's would work, I'd just read the fine print.
    Well that is great, Win7 is the pick of the OS bunch for me so I would be looking to use it anyway.

Thanks for the replies
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here you go: I rent a ton of these to trade shows all over the USA, and the clients love them. All in one, no keyboard or external computer needed. Beautiful units.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/12454-12454-64287-321881-3892085-4039078.html
    Quote Quote