VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was wondering if there are any cheaper BR players that have the same playback options as most Philips dvd players have...i.e....xvid/divx playback...usb...region free capability...PAL/NTSC playback etc (maybe mkv)

I realize that the Oppo can do it but is there a cheaper alternative out there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. not sure about the region free thing(99% it doesn't) did you check the LG 530 at walmart for $65?
    it said MKV,Divx,,,,USB2
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    not sure about the region free thing(99% it doesn't) did you check the LG 530 at walmart for $65?
    it said MKV,Divx,,,,USB2
    I got this yesterday at Frys for 57 bucks and so far it works great. I hooked a 1TB external to it and it played avi, dvix, mkv, and vobs. So far that's all I have tested on it, but everything plays fine. It is not region free for DVD, but maybe there will be a hack one day.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was going to buy it,but no damn Netflix.I need it for the kids to keep them quite lol
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    Was wondering if there are any cheaper BR players that have the same playback options as most Philips dvd players have...i.e....xvid/divx playback...usb...region free capability...PAL/NTSC playback etc (maybe mkv)

I realize that the Oppo can do it but is there a cheaper alternative out there?
    Oppo and Momitsu make the only BluRay players that I know of that are sold in the USA and Canada that can be made region free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do any of these models, besides the Oppo, play PAL discs? region free can be done for me my just making the dvd disc region free..thats not a major issue but it would be nice to have. A PAL playable model is even more of a need that i have
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    not sure about the region free thing(99% it doesn't) did you check the LG 530 at walmart for $65?
    it said MKV,Divx,,,,USB2
    I got this yesterday at Frys for 57 bucks and so far it works great. I hooked a 1TB external to it and it played avi, dvix, mkv, and vobs. So far that's all I have tested on it, but everything plays fine. It is not region free for DVD, but maybe there will be a hack one day.
    Updated research has come to light, man. I am also able to play the .ts files from my hauppauge hd pvr 1212 on this unit through my external HDD. So far it has been a great deal. I am seeing it turn up for $70 to $80 all over the place. Based on my experience, it is an awesome deal since you get the functionality of media boxes like the Western Digital and its myriad of knock offs, but the LGbd530 is a blu-ray player as well! And oh yeah, it does play PAL format as well as long as the DVD is region free. Excellent value (my first LG product so I will update later on reliability). To get any more functions you might as well build a HTPC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    LG 530... played avi, dvix, mkv, and vobs... .ts files from my hauppauge hd pvr 1212
    Sounds nice. Finally an inexpensive Blu-ray player with some features. How fast is its disc handling? DVD and BD. One of the big complaints about Blu-ray players has been the very long load times. Can it access Windows shares? DLNA servers?
    Last edited by jagabo; 29th Nov 2010 at 21:32.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    LG 530... played avi, dvix, mkv, and vobs... .ts files from my hauppauge hd pvr 1212
    Sounds nice. Finally an inexpensive Blu-ray player with some features. How fast is its disc handling? DVD and BD. One of the big complaints about Blu-ray players has been the very long load times. Can it access Windows shares? DLNA servers?
    The DVDs I've tried load quickly...within 5 to 10 seconds. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I can't yet report on BDs since I don't own any!!! I plan to buy some tomorrow and I will update you with the results.
    Quote Quote  
  10. just found the last one from my local WALMART($65)

connected my WD passport 250 with no issues

no BD movie to test it .lol
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_16511.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	4484  

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can now report that I have tested the BD player and have no complaints. The disk loads within 10 to 20 seconds and picture is great as expected for HD. If this thing holds up to regular use for a year it will be a great value!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    I can now report that I have tested the BD player and have no complaints. The disk loads within 10 to 20 seconds
    Thanks. The first gen players took about a minute to load!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    do any of these models, besides the Oppo, play PAL discs? region free can be done for me my just making the dvd disc region free..thats not a major issue but it would be nice to have. A PAL playable model is even more of a need that i have
    Sorry for being a little late getting back to this, but I'm surprised no one else jumped in and answered this. Yes they support PAL fine. I have the Momitsu and it plays PAL video (DVD, VCD and SVCD - I tested them all) with no problems. I don't have Oppo but everyone who does says it also plays PAL fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    will it work in Europe without a mains adaptor? im interested in the LG 530 but i guess i will need a power adaptor? My understanding is that there's no Pal bluray ou Ntsc bluray for HD video, but will the lg530 play commercial bluray discs with different region coding and will it work with strictly pal european tvs?

is there an european model of the lg530, searched in some lg european sites but couldnt find it.

Thanks
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Several feature tiers seem to separate Blu-Ray players. The budget (>$100) models mostly lack DLNA networking and firmware support for Netflix, Pandora, etc.

The 2nd tier support DLNA/UPnP over wired Ethernet but lack internal wireless.

The third tier has internal wireless.

I was looking for the second tier since I have Cat6 house cabling. Settled on the Sony BDP-BX37 at Costco for $94.
    Last edited by edDV; 1st Dec 2010 at 15:41.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    I can now report that I have tested the BD player and have no complaints. The disk loads within 10 to 20 seconds and picture is great as expected for HD. If this thing holds up to regular use for a year it will be a great value!
    did u have a chance to update the firmware ? I can't now until the weekend

one more thing.did u hear a loud noise(not dvd seeking) the 1st time u plugged it to the wall?
    Last edited by MJA; 1st Dec 2010 at 17:46.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have the LG BD555C (same as BD530 in US) after returning my Sony S370 because it wouldn't play my backup disks. There does not appear to be any better firmware than 4.380 at the moment. All the low end players seem to load fast this year. I had a Seiki BD660 (Canada only AFAIK) which appears oddly similar to the LG and it could be made both DVD and BD region free using a remote code but it died on me after a month so I was hesitant to go down that route again. It retails for $88 at Walmart and was on for $49 this past weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  18. what about BD.4.598.00 ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    what about BD.4.598.00 ?
    I don't see that on the LG site but I do see that 4.874 is now up. I'll have to try it tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by sconepanman View Post
    what about BD.4.598.00 ?
    I don't see that on the LG site but I do see that 4.874 is now up. I'll have to try it tonight.
    Hmmm... When I plug the USB in the software updated tells me the new version is BD.0.000.00.C I'm not sure if I want to update but I'm not getting any updates through the Internet, tells me my connection isn't working.

Edit: took a chance. It works. It updates something in netcast as my settings there were gone. It also fixes an issue I had with BD live.
    Last edited by sconepanman; 3rd Dec 2010 at 22:46.
    Quote Quote  
  21. anyone know if these are available cheap anywhere still? LG 530?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Philips players often have second rate video output. Their video results are never as crisp and rich compare to Toshiba, JVC, Sony, even Samsung...
    I still own a Philips up-converting DVD player, and it is back in the box.
    Root cause ? Philips doesn't really do consumer electronics anymore.
    Most what you bought from Philips are complete contract design and built by Chinese factories.
    Philips design center only handles concepts and down selects from the bids. SAD!

Movie watching has changed to watching from netflix, and ipod, and Hulu, So wi-fi (built in is cheaper, neater, and work better ) is a must.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by destro_99 View Post
    anyone know if these are available cheap anywhere still? LG 530?
    amazon $69

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00400NL02/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

most of the low reviews are from users complaining about the lack of netflix

check your local walmart.I found the last one mixed between the 550 model
    Quote Quote  
  24. i'll check walmart tonight.. i just don't want to pay 150+ for a bluray when for a little more i might as well get a ps3...

OR i'll just get a regular cheapo usb 2.0 dvd player cuz the main thing i want is to be able to play my avi movies. Blueray cheap = bonus just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  25. yesterday I bought my 1st BD movie.good ,the bad and the ugly for $10(2cd's) lol. no skips .I'm going to try some MKV's(4.1) tonight
    Quote Quote  
  26. sconepanman

can you post the link for the update BD.4.598.00.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    sconepanman

can you post the link for the update BD.4.598.00.
    Sure. Its now reporting it as BD.4.874.00.C.

For the BD555C click on the last file in this page (Firmware Update for BD550): http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=...roduct-profile

For the BD530 use this page (It appears to be the same file as the BD555C): http://www.lg.com/us/support/product/support-product-profile.jsp?customerModelCode=BD5...roduct-profile

I used the USB method as the network method didn't appear to be working for me. My network firmware update now reports me up-to-date!
    Quote Quote  
  28. I got the BD.4.874.00 last night .took less than 5 min for the player to download it

I read about the update BD.4.598.00 on AVS forums thats why I was asking if you tried it .

you think the lack of netflix is due to hardware or firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    When you guys say "mkv" are those encoded with H264? Just didn't want to assume anything.
    The torture never stops!
    Quote Quote