VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As much as I like my Mac, ever since I switched to one and lost the use of my favorite video trimming/editing freeware, VirtualDub, I've had nothing but headaches. I can't seem to find just ONE program that reads nearly every format, and lets me clip, save, or convert files easily like it used to.
    MPEG Streamclip was working pretty well, but it now won't open any .mp4 files, saying it's an unrecognized file format. I have the codecs for mp4 (and mpeg2, for what it's worth) installed, so I'm not sure why it won't read it.
    Is there a way to get MPEG Streamclip to play mp4s?

Or is there another alternative, so something similar to VirtualDub available for Mac?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you run a Windows emulator like Wine or Q ? http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20830/q-emulator
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would *HIGHLY* prefer not to, as I don't want to allocate that much HDD space just to run Windows.
    Hence why I posted in the MAC section. Why is everyone's solution automatically "use Windows" instead of looking for something that works on Mac? There's gotta be something out there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you find a suitable program lets us know! Final Cut Pro will do it as a friend who is a professional editor has it on his G5. He has a WIndows 7 64 bit machine to do all those file manipulations and does final mixes etc on the MAC.
    The problem for most MAC users is there isn't the range of freeware like there is on Windows or even Linux. You could try aviDemux it is available as MAC software and it will handle mp4 (just)
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    open the Mp4 in VLC. Get Info on the file while it is playing in VLC, and look at Stream 0 and Stream 1.
    My guess is that it is actually a non compliant file type with an incorrect tag ( .mp4) on the end.
    Post back what Stream 0 and Stream 1 Say in VLC, and then we can point you in the direction
    of something that will allow you to edit it.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  6. did you install Perian?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem here is not MPEG Streamcilp it is your Quicktime Componets the Componets determine which formats quicktime can handle. Since Mpeg Streamclip uses quicktime for it's format conversion and playback on the Mac. Now some of the other suggestions are viable here such as using VLC to verify the video and audio codecs since mp4 file formats is a container format that can have differen tvideo and audio codecs however I beleave that the 2 most common for mp4 are AVC (h.264) and mp4 native are only used for that container. Also installing Perian on your system will give you better playback performance as listed by one of the other posts. if you have a trouble file you may want to look into Handbrake, or ffmpegX as additional software for your video needs ffmpeg is a staple on both Mac and PC platforms and can help you convert or identfy many video formats. One more thing if you have a mp4 file that came off a camera and has a m2ts extension then you might have to use VoltaicHD shareware to convert it to something quicktime can understand.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In addition to whats been said, one thing to check is your version of QuickTime. If you are running the Snow Leopard version of Mac OS X, but didn't install QuickTime 7 and Rosetta, you may experience the kind of problem you describe.

Also, sometimes you do have to use Windows if that's what you're comfortable with.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a similar problem. I'm preparing a conference where I'm taking clips from movies with the subtitles burned on them...

I'm exporting from HandBrake, but when I open them in MPEG Streamclip, I only get audio, no video...

Everything else plays the video, including Quicktime...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I kinda found a solution, I changed one of the settings in Handbreak from h.264 to Mpeg 4... But it kinda doesnt make sense...

Any clue of how I can use a simpler workflow? Because I have to transfer the whole movie in Handbreak before I get it into MPEG and that take a while...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On a MAC or PC you need to have the Quicktime MPEG plugin ($19.95 from Apple store) if you have Quicktime installed. On a PC without Quicktime you can install the free program Quicktime Alternative version 1.81 (and only that version).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    On a MAC or PC you need to have the Quicktime MPEG plugin ($19.95 from Apple store) if you have Quicktime installed.
    That won't do anything for MPEG-4, AVC or (A)SP, that component only helps for MPEG-2 video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am having the same issue with .mp4 files sent to me that were recorded on a Sony EX3. From VLC Media Player here's the Stream 0 and Stream 1 info:
    Stream 0
    Type: Video
    Codec: mpgv
    Language: English
    Resolution: 1920 x 1088
    Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Stream 1
    Type: Audio
    Codec: twos
    Language: English
    Channels: stereo
    Sample Rate: 48,000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 16

I haven't come across the mpgv video codec before and don't know if that's the problem. I have tried MPEG Streamclip, which simply refuses to transcode it, and WinFXVideoConverter, which did encode it, but it is inferior quality with aliasing everywhere.

Ultimately I need to get it into Avid MC 5 on a PC. Any clues anyone?

Thanks
    Barry
    Quote Quote  
  14. means:
    Originally Posted by barrylay View Post
    Codec: mpgv […] Codec: twos
    mpeg2 HD video and non-compressed audio (wave format)
    depending on the wrapper (and with the Apple's mpeg2 plug-in), MPSC could (or not) read the stream.
    If not, you can try the app in my sign (no concern, the HD module is free, this is not an ad ). Depending on its wrapper (once again, 'cause you didn't specify it ) the HD module should convert your stream for editing (iMovie/FCP)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you are kindly check the audio file, it must be the format acc, if the format ac3 it will not working
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by salim othman View Post
    you are kindly check the audio file, it must be the format acc, if the format ac3 it will not working
    You are kindly check the date of the last post before responding. It's three years ago. Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix I know very well that at an earlier date, but when you encounter this problem and search in Google and found this page and you will read solutions and this means anyone will be located in this problem in the near future will be looking them in the same way and will find a solution I write to the people who will be searching newly
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by salim othman View Post
    I write to the people who will be searching newly
    This thread is full of advice that is outdated (at best) and just plain wrong (at worst.) The information you added, while technically correct, is also narrowly limited and incomplete. Please let this thread die peacefully.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    I had the same problem with some .mp4 videos.
    Using HandBrake I converted them to the default .mp4 of the application.
    Now the videos run smoothly on MPEG Streamclip plus other platforms.
    Quote Quote