VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,
    I've been ripping my Blu-Rays with RipBot264. Great software, but one problem with the forced subs in the extended edition of Avatar. The english forced subs stream seems to be broken. Near as I can tell, the subs are in the right order, they're just displayed at the wrong time, making them useless. I think the timing is for the theatrical release (which is on the same disc).
    I think this is because the movie itself is split into many movie files, which are stitched together by the playlist you choose (theatrical, re-release extended, or new extended) and RipBot264 isn't properly compensating for the time difference when it generates the .sup file. This is all guesswork and I might be completely wrong, so correct me if I am.
    Anyways, does anyone know:
    A) How to get RipBot264 to get the subs right or
    B) Where I can get a proper subtitle file for the extended edition.
    I understand if B can't be answered on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried use something else to extract to extract the subs? Like clownbd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, try Clown_BD and keep all English subs checked, the output file will join all the main movie m2ts files into one. It will present you with a choice of titlesets, and I presume you'll want the title with the longest runtime, so pay attention to that. Extract the title. Then see if RipBot handles the Clown_BD output correctly. So what are you trying to do, re-encode to BD 5/9 (AVCHD), or MKV, or what?

BTW, ripping means decrypting and copying the disc to your hard drive. What you're doing is converting.

And welcome to the forum.

[EDIT] There's been some discussion on this before. If the above doesn't work, we'll take it from there.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I get home tonight!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok ClownBD is AWESOME SOFTWARE!
    However, the Na'vi subtitles are still screwed up. The subtitles are in the same wrong places they were with RipBot264.
    The full English subtitles are fine however.
    Quote Quote  
  6. By the way, I didn't test ClownBD's output with RipBot, I just opened it in VLC and turned on the subtitles, so RipBot didn't cause the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Okay, this is probably going to be difficult. The original Avatar disc was bad enough, going by the various threads on the subject.

I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but I suggest you do a search for "forced subtitles" and "avatar". Here's one thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319925-Avatar-%28BD%29-Na-vi-Subtitles-Help?highlig...rced+subtitles

Again, what exactly are you trying to do? That affects what format you export the forced subs as from BDSup2Sub.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm making a 1080p video file of the movie with RipBot264. I would prefer to pre-render the subtitles into the video if at all possible instead of having to turn them on whenever I watch it.
    I've done a search. The best I can find is someone else uploading a proper subtitles file, but it's for the theatrical version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Video file? Well... yeah.

The exact type matters because if for instance you want an MKV, you'd normally convert the Blu-Ray subtitles from .sup to .sub format. So I'm just going to assume you mean backup as Blu-Ray files, playable on a set-top Blu-Ray player.

Since you extracted all English subtitles, open them all in turn and view them with BDSup2Sub. If you find the one you want, set the forced sub flag and export to *.sup. Leave all other options, like convert resolution, unchecked. Then remux the main movie to Blu-Ray with tsMuxer, keeping the first English subtitle track and discard the rest, then add the one exported from BDSup2Sub. Mux it and test.

But I don't have that disc to test, maybe someone else has and can advise you. Or try BDRB instead of RipBot, maybe it can handle the subs correctly.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm making an mp4. I need a .sup file which RipBot can use to permanently render into the video when I transcode. I'm not sure what other subtitle file types it supports.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Also, there are 2 subtitle streams. 1 full English andthe other the na'vi subtitles. The full English only says [Na'vi speaking] during the forced subtitle parts.
    Quote Quote  
  12. No more suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I solved the issue by obtaining a plain text version of the Na'vi subtitles and using them as a reference for the .sup.
    It took forever to manually change the start and end times for all 82 subtitles, but I couldn't have done it without the tools you guys pointed me to. Thanks a ton!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DrPreston View Post
    I solved the issue by obtaining a plain text version of the Na'vi subtitles and using them as a reference for the .sup.
    It took forever to manually change the start and end times for all 82 subtitles, but I couldn't have done it without the tools you guys pointed me to. Thanks a ton!
    Any chance of sharing the subtitle file you created
    Quote Quote  
  15. Alright, in the zip file there are the plain text Na'vi subtitles and the 1080p Blu-Ray version in glorious Papyrus.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  16. Many thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by DrPreston View Post
    Alright, in the zip file there are the plain text Na'vi subtitles and the 1080p Blu-Ray version in glorious Papyrus.
    Apologies for dragging out an old thread, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I have been trying to get forced subs on the extended collectors version for almost a week. I just added the papyrus version to my rip and it's perfect. Took forever on my old PC to encode, but I finally have it.

Thanks again!
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Quote Quote