VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Is the feature Internet stream ready same as Wi-Fi ready on the Blu-ray DVD player? Does both mean the Blu-ray DVD can connect a TV to surf the internet or it can only watch movies from some specific websites such as Blockbuster, Netflix etc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wifi ready and internet ready are two different things and your question is a two parter fyi.

It has to say "built in" wifi to be wifi ready out of the box. Otherwise you have to check the manual to make sure it can use a usb wifi adapter and which brand it accepts.

Otherwise the only thing "internet" ready means is it has a lan port (ie wired).

Yes it is only content specific, this isn't "webtv". They only go to the websites it supports natively. As far as I know there are no bluray players that have keyboard jacks and full web browsers and flash support.

For that you'd have to get Sony's newest "google tv" that they've been advertising. Though I seriously doubt that is a true "go anywhere" web browser in that tv - though probably the closest you'll get in an appliance without directly connecting a full fledged computer to your tv.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Ready" is code for "Doesn't come with..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    "Ready" is code for "Doesn't come with..."
    As in Vista ready, HD ready . . . . . .
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Plays podcasts...." means not HD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And just because it connect to the internet, doesn't mean it can run all the "apps". You have to do some serious researching to find out what it can/can't do with its wireless connection and the internet.

Example: Samsung BD-C6900 can do Hulu Plus, but the BD-C6800 cannot. Even though both are "wifi enabled" out of the box, and both can run Samsung apps. (Note: They say that it should be able to run Hulu+ in the future.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of that stuff you have to take a firmware update, which is cool, then your device stays current.

Some manufacturers plan ahead, like Roku, and others put out a new model so it's a little scary out there on the bleeding edge. We don't even know who's gonna do what in the near future, maybe a lawsuit topples Google, who knows.

The HDMI connection has some kind of "Token Constraint System" that can be unleashed at any time, so I try to keep my component connections, if you're all HDMI you might get "down-rezzed" one day.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Constraint_Token
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=budwzr;2034780]
    The HDMI connection has some kind of "Token Constraint System" that can be unleashed at any time, so I try to keep my component connections, if you're all HDMI you might get "down-rezzed" one day.

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Constraint_Token[/QUOTE]

Can you say "macrovision"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Um...it's not Macrovision, that's old skool. HDMI is really a hardware communication protocol DRM scheme that hasn't been fully implemented yet. Most people think it's just an easy way to hook up audio/video, but it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. The ultimate trojan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right you are....but it's a heading in the copyright protection area that macrovision did. Now where's that little black box I used back in the "Old School" days....
    Last edited by 16mmJunkie; 22nd Nov 2010 at 20:10. Reason: Old School can spell
    Quote Quote