VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi ! i really need your help! English is not my first language so i'm very sorry for all the mistakes i make when writing this.

I have a movie with embed subtitles. The subtitles are readable, but the video quality is so bad, i can't even see the faces properly.
    So now i downloaded the RAW (the clean version of the movie ,without embed subtitles) with amazing video quality.

What i want to do is cut the subtitles from the bad-quality version and paste them to the new downloaded version.

Luckily,the duration and the framerate are the same in both versions so that won't be the problem...The only problem is that i couldn't find a program that can do this stuff. Can you please tell me what should i use?

Thank you soo much for everything!
    Last edited by nightshift; 19th Nov 2010 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basically what you want to do or rather the way you describe is nearly impossible or the results will be unsatisfactory.

You would be better off doing a search on the various subtitle sites and download a clean version of the subtitles of your video in SRT format and then using a DVD Authoring program re-author the video with the better quality picture file and the subtitle track
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What format are both the videos ?

What do you mean by "embed subtitles" ?

What are you watching them with & can you turn the subtitles off and on with the player you are watching them on ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. thank you both for taking your time answering !
    @netmask unfortunately there isn't any srt available on the internet,i know that for sure. The only subtitle available is the one embed on the version with poor video quality.
    @noahtuck

Both are xvid / AVI . Since we're talking about hardsubs, i can't turn the subtitles on and off.
    *hardsubs,embed subtitles , ... that means there isn't any .srt file coming along with the .avi file, the subtitles are attached to video*

-----

hmm i didn't know it's almost impossible to do it .
    Last edited by nightshift; 19th Nov 2010 at 20:44.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah when they are hardsubs they are actually encoded into the video so they are part of the video you see, nothing separate to get a hold of & extract.

I know there is a program that is supposed to be able to do it, if i remember correctly, but as netmask56 wrote,
    Basically what you want to do or rather the way you describe is nearly impossible or the results will be unsatisfactory.
    I sent you a PM also.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @noahtuck i just sent message back!

finding softsubs is out of the question,because there aren't any on the internet . Extracting subs from the video ? Same thing, out of the question,since i don't use those programs.

therefore i'm only interested if it's possible to cut and paste a portion from one video to another,like i said in the first post . thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only way I can think of other than a specific software package that is able to OCR the subs burnt in would be to run the file through a video editing program like Womble or VirtualDUb and crop everything out except for a few pixels top and bottom of the subs (hopefully they are in one line). Then with a program that enables you to overlay the "ribbon" of subs over the better quality video file!!!!! and as I said it would look very messy

The other alternative is to transcribe by hand the subtitles you can read and then use a program like VisualSubSync or SubtitleEdit or Subtitle Workshop (all free programs) and produce your own SRT file. I have done this and it is best not rushed but becomes a longterm project. I took 6 months to complete a 90 minute doco that didn't even have subs to begin with! Never again... Good luck
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can do it with avisynth

You crop the bad movie with good subtitles, and either overlay() it onto the other movie, or crop away the bottom of the other movie and use stackvertical() to replace the sub section . Either method will give the same effect as "cut & pasting"

This requires re-encoding if you want to make it permanent, or you can play the .avs script in a media player

If you have access to any editor like sony vegas, premiere pro etc.. it's an easy task to do as well .
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 19th Nov 2010 at 21:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. thank you so much for the info,poisondeathray!!! i think i'll be able to do this

thank you all!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nightshift View Post
    finding softsubs is out of the question,because there aren't any on the internet .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunately there isn't any srt available on the internet,i know that for sure.
    The Internet is a big place.

Name the movie, and IMDB number if possible, and maybe someone can help.
    What language do you want?

Extracting subs from the video ? Same thing, out of the question,since i don't use those programs.
    Why? They're free and easy to use. Certainly easier than trying to cut and combine the hardcoded subs from one movie onto another.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 20th Nov 2010 at 01:55.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Actually, doing what poisondeathray described is pretty easy. But I agree with you that since nightshift seems both unable and unwilling to try the other things suggested, if he supplies the movie name and maybe an IMDB link, if anyone can find the subs, you can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Actually, doing what poisondeathray described is pretty easy.
    Easy if you know Avisynth, but if you don't....

If he did, he wouldn't have had to ask. Just Crop and Overlay.

Also, I think very likely the join would be obvious and ugly and the text not very clear in the end.
    And if you just had soft subs, you wouldn't have to reencode the video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think he should first try and extract the subs using the guide linked by rickydavao. But he seems unwilling to even try anything.

As for obvious and ugly and unclear text, maybe, maybe not. No way to know without samples. I agree that having external subs from a DVD or internet source is the way to go. Unless the subs are entirely home-made, someone got them from somewhere. And if so, there's a good chance they can be found.
    Quote Quote  
  15. hi again!

But he seems unwilling to even try anything
    It's not like that. I'm only trying to do it 'my way' because i already tried ALL the other things you guys kindly recommended. For example, a lot of the people responding are simply saying that i should find softsub (.srt format) and all my problems would go away. I know that. But there aren't any subs ,because it's not an american movie. Believe me when i tell you : I'm VERY good at searching subtitles and stuff on the internet. I even know exactly witch teams translate these foreign movies,and i definetely know that this particular movie is not one of their projects.

Others recommended to extract the subtitles with programs like the one rickydavao mentioned. I tried that many times, but even after hours of trying to make the program recognize all the characters , the results are not satisfactory,and the people that actually tried to do it will know it's not easy to work with those softwares.

Anyways, monono you are right, doing what poisondeathray said looks pretty easy. And it is ! Following the things he said,i actually managed to 'cut and paste' one portion from a video to another! It was not difficult, and it was exactly what i was looking for.

Thank you guys so much for your time but also for your patience hehe, i wouldn't have done it without your help!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know that. But there aren't any subs
    You may well be right.
    But instead if just stating the title and seeing if someone else had any ideas, you write paragraphs explaining that it's impossible.
    So one wonders what kind of movie it is that you're so reticent in mentioning...

Others recommended to extract the subtitles with programs like the one rickydavao mentioned. I tried that many times, but even after hours of trying to make the program recognize all the characters , the results are not satisfactory,and the people that actually tried to do it will know it's not easy to work with those softwares.
    Umm, some of us have "actually tried to do it".
    Where do you think "DVDrip" subtitles on sites like opensubtitles.org come from?
    Your video must be very crappy for it not to work.

Anyway, good luck doing it your way.
    Quote Quote  
  17. funny !
    but why would i name the title? I didn't come here to find people searching subtitles for me, especially if i know for sure that there aren't any on the internet , no matter how big place the internet is

Anyway, good luck doing it your way.
    I told you , i've done it already . Thanks to you guys ! Byeee
    Last edited by nightshift; 20th Nov 2010 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Dying to know what movie you are watching.......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    especially if i know for sure that there aren't any on the internet
    Well, certainly no one can prove you wrong now.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm... yeah....
    Quote Quote