VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Thread
  1. I like to order HDMI cables to try out different things, I have none. So, few general questions...

    As far as latest versions, it's HDMI 1.4 (as of 2010). The HDMI 1.3 (a-c) is same as 1.4, only that 1.4 can do larger videos, correct?

    To start out, I like to order a 6ft. I came across two different links at monoprice.com. Could you tell me what is differences:

    this to me looks like thinner cable and two end clips (forgot what those are called), and it's $2.91 (for 2+)
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=...seq=1&format=2

    This to me looks like thicker cable, and it's $6.45 (for 2+)
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=...seq=1&format=2

    Also, from reading the HDMI.org site, it appears to be new standard that do not allow versions to be disclosed? So, there would be no way to know it it's HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 ?

    The new standards are 5 types, labled with "Ethernet", "Automotive", "High Speed", etc. Yes, I see "High Speed" on the monoprice.com site. Does "High Speed" and "Ethernet" go Hand'nHand (same thing)? Wouldn't "Automotive" HDMI have same interface as "High Speed" HDMI and both would do same functions?

    BTW, the link in https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?H#HDMI (faq) is dead.

    I also read somewhere that HDMI highest grade is 1080i, not p, ture?

    Thank you.

    Chuck
    Last edited by CNT; 18th Nov 2010 at 13:43. Reason: "i" or "p"
    Quote Quote  
  2. get a $4 of ebay and call it a day; 1.3 1.4 are just selling gimmicks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    ebay = never know what you're getting.

    Stick with Monoprice. I have for years on many items and have never been dissapointed. My backup is BlueJeanCable.
    Have a good one,

    neomaine

    NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

    Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    All here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

    The main issues with cable types within a version involve shielding. Smaller flexible cables usually have less shielding and higher attenuation for longer lengths.

    Current cables will be either v1.3 or v1.4. Most current equipment will be happy with v1.3 and 1080p is supported. v1.3c* supports 3D Blu-Ray.

    v1.4 adds bandwidth (bitrate) for digital theater and advanced 3D modes. It also adds Ethernet in parallel with video and an audio return channel. None of this is supported for current consumer equipment except maybe advanced 3D players. Check your player and TV specs.


    *HDMI v1.3b and v1.3c only affect the cable test procedure, not the cable design.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Nov 2010 at 17:22.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Been there...

    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Current cables will be either v1.3 or v1.4. Most current equipment will be happy with v1.3 and 1080p is supported. v1.3c* supports 3D Blu-Ray.

    v1.4 adds bandwidth (bitrate) for digital theater and advanced 3D modes. It also adds Ethernet in parallel with video and an audio return channel. None of this is supported for current consumer equipment except maybe advanced 3D players. Check your player and TV specs.

    *HDMI v1.3b and v1.3c only affect the cable test procedure, not the cable design.
    You just started answering to my questions... So, if I was to setup 3D (with those glasses), I will have to make sure it's a v1.3c. HOW will I identify if the cable is v1.3c with new standards covering versions with titles? Thus, the next question remains...

    Wouldn't "Automotive" HDMI have same interface as "High Speed" HDMI and both would do same functions?


    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Been there...

    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Current cables will be either v1.3 or v1.4. Most current equipment will be happy with v1.3 and 1080p is supported. v1.3c* supports 3D Blu-Ray.

    v1.4 adds bandwidth (bitrate) for digital theater and advanced 3D modes. It also adds Ethernet in parallel with video and an audio return channel. None of this is supported for current consumer equipment except maybe advanced 3D players. Check your player and TV specs.

    *HDMI v1.3b and v1.3c only affect the cable test procedure, not the cable design.
    You just started answering to my questions... So, if I was to setup 3D (with those glasses), I will have to make sure it's a v1.3c. HOW will I identify if the cable is v1.3c with new standards covering versions with titles? Thus, the next question remains...

    Wouldn't "Automotive" HDMI have same interface as "High Speed" HDMI and both would do same functions?


    Chuck
    There are so many ways to "setup 3D (with those glasses)". If you mean Blu-Ray 3D, a v1.3c tested cable has passed that spec in test.

    I'm unfamiliar with "automotive" HDMI but I'd suspect this refers to special connectors or special shielding. I doubt 3D is a priority.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Automotive HDMI seems to be about locking connectors
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/automotive_connection.aspx
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is the second link above (thicker cable) an attenuation? Is the mesh thing over the cable called attenuation?

    If I didn't see the second link, I would have ordered the $2.91 (original $9.13). I just want to know what is the reason for $6.45 (original $20.25)?

    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Automotive HDMI seems to be about locking connectors
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/automotive_connection.aspx
    Seems it's getting more complicated and might be just to confuse customers...

    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/finding_right_cable.aspx
    and now this, does it even look like USB too?
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/micro_connector.aspx

    So far, it looks like they are ALL SAME THING and SAME INTERFACE PLUGS. Almost like whether to buy Monster-Cable or not. lol

    Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    Is the second link above (thicker cable) an attenuation? Is the mesh thing over the cable called attenuation?

    If I didn't see the second link, I would have ordered the $2.91 (original $9.13). I just want to know what is the reason for $6.45 (original $20.25)?

    Chuck
    When I enlarged the picture it called the mesh a "Net Jacket". It's just a protective covering for the cable. The word "attenuation" means a loss of amplitude in a signal, or weakening. Look it up.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Nov 2010 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    Is the second link above (thicker cable) an attenuation? Is the mesh thing over the cable called attenuation?

    If I didn't see the second link, I would have ordered the $2.91 (original $9.13). I just want to know what is the reason for $6.45 (original $20.25)?

    Chuck
    Ask them. They invent these numbers. Where do they say anything about automotive?

    Attenuation is signal level loss over a given distance. Not a problem for 6 foot cables.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Automotive HDMI seems to be about locking connectors
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/automotive_connection.aspx
    Seems it's getting more complicated and might be just to confuse customers...

    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/finding_right_cable.aspx
    and now this, does it even look like USB too?
    http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/micro_connector.aspx

    So far, it looks like they are ALL SAME THING and SAME INTERFACE PLUGS. Almost like whether to buy Monster-Cable or not. lol

    Chuck
    Monoprice claims all the features of HDMI v1.3c but to say they are v1.3c, they have to test all these features. They don't say they are v1.3c.

    Monster is more expensive due to advertising, retail sales commissions, retail markups and a huge band of lawyers. Their cables are ok. Read the specs. You get what you get.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a good explanation of HDMI cable types, standards and issues from a consumer perspective. Turns out the cable maker is prohibited from labeling HDMI cables by version number.
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/hdmi-cable-information.htm?hdmidept
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neomaine View Post
    ebay = never know what you're getting.
    I agree with this. I've bought my HDMI cables from newegg.com and they've worked flawlessly for me. In fact I get all my cables from them because of price.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads