VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I'm new to video conversion, but trying to learn, so I apologize if anything I write here sounds dumb or obvious to you guys. I will start by saying I have done multiple google, yahoo, and forum searches for a solution, but can't find anything similar to my problem, which is why I'm looking for help from some one here. Here's my issue...

I have captured all of my mini-dv tapes to my pc in avi format. As you know, each of these files is 12-13GB in size. I would like to convert them to mpg or mp4 format to reduce the size. Yes, I know I will lose quality, and yes, I know it's probably best long term to buy more storage, but I have lots of tapes and space gets eaten up quickly. Also, my main reason for wanting to compress the files is because I can fast forward the compressed home videos better on my tv using my PS3 via my N wireless network as opposed to using the original avi files (which won't forward much more than 10X, if I'm lucky)...using tversity by the way.

In any case, when I try to convert some of my avi files to mpg using free conversion software like winx avi to mpg or hampster (just the couple I found while searching), the software gives me an error and then shuts down completely. The software I have that will convert the files all the way through is AVS 6.3. However, after conversion the audio cuts out after a period of time, which could be 25 minutes, or 40 minutes, or something else, it depends on the file. The video is fine, just no sound at all. I confirmed the original avi file has sound all the way through. I have tried to convert to mpg, mp4, compressed avi, and others, all with the same result...audio/video good for a while and then video with no audio. The weird thing is the newer files are fine, good video/audio all the way through, this is only a problem pm files after a certain one, and I'm not sure what changed at that point that might cause the problem.

So, do any of you have any idea why this might be happening, and more important, what I can do to solve it? Another converter perhaps?. I've thought about trying to capture the tapes to mpg format directly from the camera, but this is kind of a pain and I hate to think about having to do that all over again for every tape. I had issues with capturing the early tapes anyway because they were recorded on a different camera (sony) than the one I have now (canon) and I had to borrow a friends camera.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I do appreciate the help! If it would help for me to provide additional information, please let me know. (Mods:If this is better placed in the Audio section, please feel free to move it there...thanks)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could use something like AVStoDVD to create DVD folders or an iso image of the DVD. it would reduce the size to about 4.5GB each. or you could use xmediarecode to create ps3 type 480p mpeg-4 files. it has a preset for it you could easily use.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried xmediarecode and the program says there is an error and shuts down as soon as I select an input avi file, just like the other free converters I've tried. I then tried AVStoDVD. I set it to output a MPEG2 file. It does it's thing and appears to finish ok, but when try to play the output file, it won't play. Windows Media Player just hangs and does nothing so I have to start the task manager to end it.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I have to believe there is something goofy going on with my avi files that these converters can't handle. I don't know enough about codecs and all that stuff to be able to diagnose it. They play ok on their own, but just won't convert. Unless anyone else has a suggestion, my next step is to capture the tapes over again to an mpg format, which I'm really not looking forward to
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Nuzy View Post
    I then tried AVStoDVD. I set it to output a MPEG2 file. It does it's thing and appears to finish ok, but when try to play the output file, it won't play. Windows Media Player just hangs and does nothing so I have to start the task manager to end it.
    Maybe it is just a codecs issue: download and install ffdshow.

Moreover get rid of Windows Media Player and use a good player like Media Player Classic.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded ffdshow and converted again with AVStoDVD...everything again appeared to go fine. I downloaded media player classic and the same thing happened, it just hangs up and does nothing.

I did find something that works though. I have Cyberlink PowerDirector 8.0, so I imported one of the problematic avi files into the library, added the entire thing to the video track, and then produced the whole thing as an MPEG2 project file. It doesn't play well on Windows Media Player, but plays fine within PowerDirector and also with Media Player Classic. So, for now, it appears I have a way to convert all my avi files.

I wish I understood why it works this way but won't work using other methods, but I'll take it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
    Quote Quote