VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want a device with a large screen (as big as possible to ease reading), that will display PDF files in a user friendly format so I can read/study from my collection of science PDF books.I usually have a pen and paper to work/study as I read from the device. It has to be a portable device, yet display the PDF in a big size. What device can you suggest? Of course a notebook can be used, but it's not as comfortable as a tablet like the Kindle. However, I read that the Kindle sometimes has some trouble displaying PDF's. Also, it'd be nice to be able to plug the device to AC power for long study sessions.Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the iPad, Kindle DX Graphite, or maybe the Sony 950. iPad and Kindle are 9.7", the Sony is 7". Check out the forums over at mobileread.com, particularly the "Which one should I buy?" sub-forum, as well as the device-specific and PDF sub-forums.

Each device has its own advantages and disadvantages. iPad: pricey, heavy, LCD, short battery life; Kindle: no PDF text reflow, e-ink, great battery life, free WIFI; Sony: PDF text reflow, e-ink, great battery life, etc.

The only large format (9.7") device I have is the iPad, and it's great for PDFs (using the Goodreader app, usually). And you can use it while it's plugged in and charging.

I have a Kindle 3, which I like a lot, but it only has a 6" screen, and the lack of PDF reflow really handicaps it as a PDF reader. The Kindle DX, however, with its larger screen, is said to be much better with PDFs, though I've never seen one in action.

Anyway, check out mobileread.com/forums . There's a ton of info there, and lots of helpful, knowledgeable people if you want to post a question.

Also, since you're in the US, you could just pick up one of each at BestBuy, check it out and return it if you don't like it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Squah, great info! I will definitely checkout the mobileread forum. Take care.
    Quote Quote