VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What Is Your Favorite Search Engine?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to redo a poll tgpo did 6 years go and see the results.I use google in firefox with googlesidebarremover addon.
    Last edited by johns0; 14th Nov 2010 at 17:02.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google is my primary engine but I also use Bing for approx 30% of my searches. Google still is the best but Microsoft has done a lot right with Bing in a short time and their share of the search market in a relatively short time has shown that.
    "Zed's dead, baby."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I still use Google the most, but it's gotten more commercial and honest searches are a bit difficult at times. I also use Alta Vista and Dogpile as they seem to be less commercial oriented. I dislike Yahoo.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have voted for Google coz FireFox plus Google is good choice for TUX users.
    While on Windows - Internet Explorer (More Secured) plus Bing is the best or just ultimate.
    here you can compare results of random searches on BiNG and Google.

As a matter of fact Bing results are more neutral, and...
    At the time of writing, Bing already over-passed Google in terms of technology and results, both.
    it Something like this...
    Bing... Bing... Bing... BINGO
    Yahoo is too close to Bing and....
    Altavista, Ask, DogPile and Lycos are good for dark-net searches.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 14th Nov 2010 at 16:15.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just Google it.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using scroogle for years now. It searches Google and returns its results, but it there are no records tying me to the search. Call me paranoid (or a privacy-lover).

Also, there are no ads, for those who do not use an ad-blocker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @redwudz - altavista is still around? I think I remember they were the ones that offered free dial up with ad support like netzero for awhile didn't they? I think I used both for a short time before I went to dsl and now finally cable

Yahoo is my main email and 50% of my searches. For harder to find stuff I fall back on google for the remainder. Yahoo is good enough for most of my needs but sometimes it just doesn't hit it fast enough and I need to dig more. Yes I know I should probably just use google but yahoo was my first real intro to the net way back when so I've stuck with it all this time.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Firefox->AdBlockPlus->Google

Gets me what I'm looking for most times....
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Google mostly.

Does anyone have a problem with the post search Google sidebar? The drop down options 'More' and 'More search tools' don't drop down. I only get this problem with google.co.uk - google.com works fine.

It's also Firefox specific, although every recent version of Firefox (3.* and 4 beta) has exhibited this bug. This is on Linux, I should add.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Google for almost everything. I used to like Yahoo, but about 3 or 4 years ago I began using it less and less as the results became more and more useless to me.
    Ask.com is my other choice, especially if I am looking for something that may be more article based.

Research tools I found useful in addition to the common engines are Youtube and Ebay for more obscure things like the items I am trying to recapture from my childhood...because I've hit that age

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like Blekko, then Google with add-ons, then Bing. Sometimes for curiosity I'll use the "Google & Bing" search tool. Mostly Blekko though, less crap in the results.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    If you're searching for certain things -- stock or news photos come to mind -- it's interesting how the different engines can come up with different hits, many of which do not overlap.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I use google in firefox with googlesidebarremover addon.
    I use Google in Firefox with HideGoogleOptions addon.
    From here:- http://www.seotools.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    google is aokay for me
    Quote Quote