VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I have a LG GSA-H62L SATA DVD+RW on a Windows XP Pro SP 3 computer that cannot read a DVD+RW disc. The disc was burnt on another friend's Windows 7 computer. I've confirmed that the disc can be read on other computers that are running Vista and 7. FYI the contents on the disc are pictures and RAW files.

So far I've tried updating Nero 7, Microsoft Fix It from here http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Tried using the hotfix from this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818733
    However when I try to use the hotfix they sent me, I get the error message: xpsp1hfm.exe is not a valid win32

Anyone have suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a lg burner that can't read dvdrw that my other burners can read so its just the burner itself that's the problem,burners are so cheap now a days its just easier to replace it and welcome to the forums.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also look into Adaptec ASPI drivers. I remember having that problem YEARS ago but I still think it was on XP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any chance that the disc was burned as a UDF 2.50 or higher format disc? XP cannot read these discs and you must install special software like this to do so - UDFreader

The Microsoft hot fix page suggests a solution for discs made on video recorders not PCs.

It could also be that disc was not finalized, the discs is bad, or your drive doesn't like the media (it's probably low grade crap media). It's simple enough to load UDFreader to just to see if that fixes your problem or not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. @johns0 The LG GSA-H62L is compatible with DVD+RW, I checked it from this site.

I just installed UDFreader, rebooted and still got the same problem. The drive can't read the disc and my computer freezes until I eject it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ailanthus View Post
    @johns0 The LG GSA-H62L is compatible with DVD+RW, I checked it from this site.

I just installed UDFreader, rebooted and still got the same problem. The drive can't read the disc and my computer freezes until I eject it.
    I didn't say the lg can't read dvdrw,it just cant read dvdrw that my other burners can read which is dvdrw burned in my dvd recorder finalized.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect you booktyped the DVD+RW to DVD-ROM with the other burner, which makes it absolutely incompatible to some drives.....................
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you try your drive, with this disc, on your friend's computer?

It's work, but it will be effective to single out the problem, which either way, is more solvable if you know what it is.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote