VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm new to this process. I've ripped a few blu rays and I am very pleased with results, however of course I want to see if I can improve some stuff.

1. The "quality" of the video once completely encoded (ripbot, standard settings for high 4.0, mp4) is amazing and plenty good enough for me, however I can't help but notice 3 - 5 "BIG glitches or stutters" when streaming the videos. Also, it almost seems like the entire video is just a tiny bit glitchy, like the frame rate went down to 18 instead of the given 24. Is this a steaming thing or an rendering thing? Am i just being to picky for ripping blu rays? Is this related to the crf #? quality is more important than file size for me.

2. I'm running a q6600 cpu right now with 2 gig of ddr2 800 ram. blu-rays take about 5-6 hours right now. any guesses how much faster a 1090T x6 core with 4 gig ddr3 ram would be with same encoding settings? (need an excuse to upgrade )

3. what % of equipment is being used to encode the video files? For example, i know most of power is coming from the cpu but what about memory and video card? does overclocking cpu/ram help alot?

Thank you in advance, if I'm being too lazy by not doing enough research first, just say so.

q6600 cpu
    2 gig ddr2 800 kingston hyperx ram <- this stuff getting HOT when i encode
    500 gig 7200 hdd
    cheapo lite on 2x read Bluray
    gtx 260 video card
    500 watt cooler master power supply
    Quote Quote  
  2. Also, currently using anydvd and ripbot. Do most people prefer this combo over DVDfab? suggestions for which one is best? Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  3. For decryption, either AnyDVDHD or DVDFab will do.

As to the quality of re-encoding, my own opinion is that RipBot is better. Actually any front end using x264. There are a number of free programs available here that all share pretty much the same toolkit, e.g. RipBot, BDRB, AVCHDCoder, HDConvertToX, et. al.

But the last time I tried the re-encoding in DVDFab, it had improved greatly, and was quite fast as well, about as quick as the fastest BDRB setting. Mind you, my impressions are subjective, as I have no idea what's under the hood, so to speak, in DVDFab. (Maybe someone will do an encoder test sometime between the two, like they used to do MPEG2 encoder tests.) A lot of people like having one simple program like Fab doing both the decryption and conversion.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Dipstik, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote