VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've finally pushed the boat out and bought a DVD player/recorder (well, I am a girlie and in my sixties)! Having been a fan of Philips since my late husband introduced me to the company, I turned back to a tried and trusted 'friend'. Sixty-odd pounds bought me a DVDR-3480 on eBay - wow! My first challenge was to get the thing to play a region 1 DVD. No probs, I looked up this spectacular site and found the answer: a simple code (even the bloke who sold me the machine didn't know that one). So what am I moaning about; how do I need help? I've got the remote and all the specs BUT I haven't got the user manual! Can any of you very kind souls point me in the right direction, please? All the downloads I've encountered simply reiterate the specs and tell me what I can do with my new toy but not HOW. I'm pretty certain I can plug in my decent external speakers and I'm assured I can copy my old VHS tapes to DVD and, oh, it will take a dual layer disc (whatever that is and God knows how much it will cost) but.... how the heck do I achieve all these wondrous activities? How can I programme the DVD to record from the TV - does Videoplus work? Please take pity on an old gal and help. THANK YOU KINDLY.
    Quote Quote  
  2. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    All you have to do to record from TV is to run your antenna to the IN of the recorder and run the second coax from the OUT of the recorder to the IN of your TV.
    Press the SETUP button on the remote and go to general and the time settings will come up.
    Us the Up and Down arrows on remote to set the time and date,
    Then, press TIMER on the remote and the screen will show the date and channels that you can set.
    Again, use the Up and down on remote to program the date you want and the channel you want.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oooo, you darling! Yes, it DOES help - a lot - and thank you VERY MUCH. If I can't come up with a copy of the user manual, I'll copy any advice I receive - your's included, and make up my own manual. I've already printed off my version of 'an idiot's guide' on how to input the region-changing code and change it back again, and I shoved the remote into the photocopier, got an excellent result and added that to my hand-made manual with notes on what our American cousins call its 'functionality'! I'm getting there and, as dear old Eric Morecambe said, I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order: the brain might be slowing down, but the determination remains. Again, thank you so much for helping me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try a Canon HV30 or 40. You can record in both SD and HD. If you do lots of editing, SD is the option to use. With SD you have all the tools you need to do the job quickly. If you like to spend lots of time-HD. If you don't have state of the art equipment, you will spend much time watching your LCD. At 15' who can tell the difference, unless you have one of those monstrous screens.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glory be and Alleluia! I've been on to the Philips official website and found.... the User Manual in PDF form: everything I need and now downloaded and printed off.

May I say, that this Forum is terrific and I send my genuine thanks to everyone who has helped me. My head is constantly buzzing with questions about recording; formats; codecs and things which fly straight over my head so, because I appreciate that within this Forum I'm rubbing shoulders with REAL experts, I shall probaly be back shortly with further requests for guidance and advice.

Videohelp.com is a wonderful site and freely offers help to those of us who are bemused and bewildered. I've read lots of postings and been very impressed by the kind, helpful and friendly replies. To everyone, I send my warmest best wishes and respect for your considerable knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  6. PSCO2007
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vixfoxwatch View Post
    Oooo, you darling! Yes, it DOES help - a lot - and thank you VERY MUCH. If I can't come up with a copy of the user manual, I'll copy any advice I receive - your's included, and make up my own manual. I've already printed off my version of 'an idiot's guide' on how to input the region-changing code and change it back again, and I shoved the remote into the photocopier, got an excellent result and added that to my hand-made manual with notes on what our American cousins call its 'functionality'! I'm getting there and, as dear old Eric Morecambe said, I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order: the brain might be slowing down, but the determination remains. Again, thank you so much for helping me.

You sound like a lovely lady.
    Enjoy your new toy!!
    Paul
    Quote Quote