VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please, I need a quick education on the topic of using/choosing drop frame versus non-drop frame on a Premiere Pro HDV project especially as it’s related to or may directly impact on rendering/compression quality or may even cause compatibility issues with the source footage.

Bottom line: Is there any visible or discernable difference seen on the resulting video after being rendered/compressed when played back?

What should I know and keep in mind in regards to this aspect of video processing going forward?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drop frame has nothing to do with picture quality. Drop frame is used to time TV programs to take into account the 59.97 fps NTSC rate vs. 60 minute real world clock.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_time_code
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So in essence, does it make any difference whether I select drop frame or non drop frame in:

A) Premiere's master project settings and/or:

B) Premieres export the timeline to Adobe Media encoder where there is a setting for that also in AME.

EdDv, my memory fails me.... aren't you a Vegas guy?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which is preferable to drop 2 frames every so often or keep all of them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. HDV tape timecode can be either drop frame or non drop frame. it just depends on the camera and the setting. you need to find out which it is on your stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Canon GL-2 Guy View Post
    Which is preferable to drop 2 frames every so often or keep all of them?
    "Drop Frame" has to do with time code frame number allocation, not actually dropping frames themselves. Did you see edDV's link?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Canon GL-2 Guy View Post
    So in essence, does it make any difference whether I select drop frame or non drop frame in:

A) Premiere's master project settings and/or:

B) Premieres export the timeline to Adobe Media encoder where there is a setting for that also in AME.

EdDv, my memory fails me.... aren't you a Vegas guy?
    Depends if you are making a program intended for broadcast (e.g. with commercial breaks, etc.). The TV station or syndicator will have tight specifications on time code and segement lengths.

If you are making a DVD, non-drop frame is fine. It gives a continous time code count. Just be aware it will be off by about 4 seconds every hour vs. a stop watch.

I use Vegas, FCP or Premiere depending on the project needs. Most routine editing is done in Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd View Post
    HDV tape timecode can be either drop frame or non drop frame. it just depends on the camera and the setting. you need to find out which it is on your stuff.
    Right, if you set your pro HDV cam to drop frame, you would probably want to use drop frame for editing so you can recue to the right frame in tape. Otherwise don't bother.
    Quote Quote