VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may be a wierd question, but if anybody can help me it will be the members here. I have box on my main LCD from my cable company for digital cable. I have another smaller LCD in my kitchen. I would prefer not running an HDMI cable though my house to the kitchen LCD to see the digital channels. I used to have a signal sender for my old analogue set but it doesn't want to work with the digital box. I also know I may have to get another box for the kitchen set, but would like to see if I can do without the extra charge. Does anyone know if there is a way to wirelessly send the digital signal to the other set? What equipment would be needed? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you'll need a box from the cable company. even if you found a way to send the first boxe's output to the second tv it would only be whatever channel the first tv is tuned to.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you want high definition or standard definition?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you say the analog signal sender doesn't work with the digital cable box, what do you mean? The cable box should have a composite video output + left and right RCA stereo audio outputs on the back. Are you saying that when you have your main LCD TV connected with HDMI, there is no output from the composite output at the same time? If that's the case then you could get either an HDMI wireless sender/reciever (expensive) or a little less expensive HDMI to composite adapter with HDMI pass-through and use your existing analog sender/reciever.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In the USA HDMI output from cable boxes requires DHCP. That means you can't split the HDMI signal to two different devices. Two cable box will be required to view HD on two TVs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In the USA HDMI output from cable boxes requires DHCP. That means you can't split the HDMI signal to two different devices. Two cable box will be required to view HD on two TVs.
    Or use analog component which can be split. The problem with my Motorola HD cable boxes is when HDMI/HDCP is used for one TV, the analog component output is muted.

I'm coming around to see value in the Microsoft centralized cable/sat tuner home network model. Tuners are installed at the centralized network media server and all networked TV sets have access to those tuners. That way you can have more TV sets than tuners. For this to work, Microsoft needs to control the tuner and acknowledge the HDCP as a trusted network.
    Last edited by edDV; 1st Nov 2010 at 14:51.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK here's what I meant in my question. Before digital TV, I had setup a signal sender on a DVD recorder in 1 room to send my cable signal to my kitchen TV. I could not change channels unless the remote was in sight of the DVD recorder but that wasn't a great issue. I only wanted the TV to play while cooking, eating and so on. Since digital TV I have added a digital box to my LCD to get HDTV signals from Time Warner. I was hoping to have the same functions I had before. When I try to split the signal coming from the cablebox to my LCD and a signal sender, the sound works on the kitchen set but not the picture. The cablebox is connected to my LCD with HDMI. I was hoping not to get a second cable box for the kitchen, it is an old home and cabling would almost be impossible. That was why I was hoping to get some help here. I have heard of things like wireless HDMI and such but have no experience with them. Does anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think edDV is right. The composite video output gets turned off when you also have the HDMI connected. Try using the 3 component cables plus 2 audio cables instead of HDMI for your main LCD and see if you also get a video signal on the composite output that you can connect to your sender. The picture from component is only slightly less sharp than with HDMI so you might not even notice the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My digital cable box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240 HDC) will put out composite and s-video at the same time as HDMI. But not component.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The wireless HDMI senders I saw cost several hundreds more than composite video TV signal senders. I would try the component cable solution first to see if that fixes the problem.

Component video supports up to 1080i, and most people find it an acceptable substitute for HDMI. Only problem would be paid on-demand movies made available before the DVD release, which I believe require HDMI for copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Coincidentally, wireless HMDI:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3978/asus-wicast-wireless-1080p-to-your-tv

Sounds like crap. Better crap then Intel's though!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When Comcast eliminated the analog versions of their "digital" MPeg2 SD channels here I was left with more TV sets and computer capture cards than cable boxes. I put two HD cable boxes on the main HDTV sets and had two DTA boxes for everything else. Fortuntely my house is cabled such that all room coaxes teminate in the attic so I can route signals to the various rooms.

I had four orphaned TV sets (living room, kitchen, garage and a bedroom) plus several SD computer tuners. I decided to feed all these off one DTA located in the living room which had 2 coax jacks to the attic. Cable comes in one and DTA RF is returned to the attic, then split 3x to the other rooms. All these follow the DTA selection in the living room and more important, the sound is in sync for all. The HD rooms need to be sound isolated because of audio delay.
    Last edited by edDV; 2nd Nov 2010 at 13:46.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/optik/system/
    Quote Quote