VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just built a new machine, however I didn't realize my MoBo does not have on-board video. This build is from scratch so I have two clear HDD's and a GPU that needs drivers to work.

The only solution I can think of is take out one of the drives, put that into a dummy machine, load the OS and video drivers onto it and then swap it back into my new machine and it should load fine. Is this correct? Is than an easier solution?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Windows will find whatever graphics card you put in the machine and come up in 640x480 or 800x600 VGA mode. From there you can install drivers from the manufacturer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Windows will find whatever graphics card you put in the machine and come up in 640x480 or 800x600 VGA mode. From there you can install drivers from the manufacturer.
    I don't have an OS loaded onto the drive yet. Shouldn't the machine go through POST anyways?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Then boot the Windows CD/DVD. The machine always goes through post before booting anything. POST will find whatever graphics card you have and bring it up in text mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    windows has a generic driver that will work with all cards..vga mode basically...works every time
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well then I must have some connections messed up because my MoBo isn't POSTing
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by peterock View Post
    Well then I must have some connections messed up because my MoBo isn't POSTing
    Yes. POST uses the original 1981 IBM PC mono/CGA text mode that all graphics cards support to this day.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If no post, replug all connectors and cards and RAM. If still no, unplug all cards except the video card and all drives except boot and try again. If still no, substitute RAM. But most motherboards will at least beep with no RAM, video cards or much of anything plugged in. Make sure you have a beep speaker installed. The code may tell you the problem. If still nothing, bad CPU or motherboard? I assume all the fans and lights are working, if not maybe a bad power supply.

I also assume this isn't your first build so you probably didn't overlook some more obvious problems.
    Quote Quote