VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Which is better, AVIDEMUX or HANDBREAK to convert high quality mkv's to mp4's?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    rxloren, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake is faster although if you need to make adjustments via video filters then handbrake is somewhat limited ... where as avidemux has more options available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The other thing is, if the video is H264, you can just copy it from one container to the other.
    Avidemux can do this without issues and it only takes a few minutes since there's no re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should keep in mind where you intend to play the resulting file. If, for example, it's on an AppleTV or iPod, CABAC won't work (IIRC) so a Handbrake re-encode may be necessary. There are other possible incompatibilities. I tend to use Handbrake and just set it to what I need. Maybe I don't worry about it because Handbrake on an iMac Core i7 is wicked fast.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    rxloren, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    You got it, thanks for the edit Thanks for the reply guys.. I'm finding handbreak to be a little better as far as quality....
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm having stuttering issues with both AVIDEMUX and HANDBREAK in Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player in particular when played in fullscreen. It happens to almost everything I encode with either. I don't kow what to do. I downloaded VLC player and the promlem seems to be resolved. I would like to use WMP because it's the default in Windows Media Center and I enjoy using that interface. Is there anyone else with this problem that can perhaps give me some insight?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Provide more information about your computer (you might want to fill in the Computer Details section in your VideoHelp profile, if you prefer), and the videos you're attempting to play. If you have an older system, it might have difficulty with HD video. Or, it could be a codec issue - VLC doesn't rely on the codecs/DirectShow filters installed on the system to play videos.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes I do believe it may be the system... although it's a 3 Ghz system with 4 gigs of ram, it's a very low end processor and Graphics unit. Don't know the exact specs... It's a lenovo I used for business which I souped up a bit...720p movies have no problem it's the 1080p ones that are an issue... I suppose I can encode to 720p for now, keeping my sources for when I'm ready to upgrade to a better system for my HTPC. You see, it's my first one, kinda did it to test it and seems to work pretty good... my Dual Core AMD @ 3Ghz and my i7 systems have no problems playing the files...but those are my laptop and gaming systems... I have that "cheepo" for my HTPC... I don't want to go out and get a new HTPC... for now at least,, muahahahahaaa!! but perhaps soon...lol.
    Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote