VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As per the subject, I'm looking for suggestions on the best file type to convert .trp/.ts files to for editing in Final Cut.

My PVR captures HDTV and on the HD it saves as multiple .trp files (each is 1.58GB).

What I would like to do is

a) Keep a single file (which joins all the files) which is excellent quality (i know this is subjective and based on taste, but im looking for suggestions atm)
    b) Keep either a seperate file or the same file where if I feel like editing the video for further use then I still end up with a relatively high quality video in the end

THe footage ive captured is 3hr basketball games currently at around 25-30G each. My ideal file size at the end would be around 5G - hopefully this is enough to maintain excellent quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kmxe View Post
    As per the subject, I'm looking for suggestions on the best file type to convert .trp/.ts files to for editing in Final Cut.
    I haven't used Final Cut, but DNxHD is a popular codec for HD editing. The file sizes would be big for several hours of HD footage - but you wouldn't keep the DNxHD files after editing.

THe footage ive captured is 3hr basketball games currently at around 25-30G each. My ideal file size at the end would be around 5G - hopefully this is enough to maintain excellent quality.
    That would make your original video ~20Mbit/second, and you want to reduce it to about 3.8Mbit/s - which isn't really enough for good quality HD video. Depending on the content/frame-rate/resolution, I would aim for 8-9Mbit/s h264(AVC) - around 12GB for 3 hours.

Also, I think Windows has a limit on file sizes of 4GB (for Fat32 file systems) which would limit what you're trying to do. Hopefully your computer uses NTFS instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Most definitely, ProRes
    Quote Quote