VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When using TMPGEnc Xpress, I can encode an .AVI to MPG (DVD Standard Compliant), with custom bitrate but need to use DVD Author to actually convert them to VOB's without losing any quality. All is fine, I can even use CUDA for the encoding part.

But on the other hand, why not just skip Xpress and just use DVD Author to convert the AVI to DVD with the folders??

I did realize that using Xpress does encode it in a much shorter time with custom bitrate to fit the 4.3GB, but I would spend the remaining time to author it using DVD Author which would be pointless. But for some reason when using DVD Author I cannot set custom bitrate.

Example;

With Xpress I can just set it to 4.3GB filesize and it selects the proper bitrate to fit at least 4.10GB and leave room for the authoring and adding in the menu for DVD Author, but when using DVD Author and I select 4.3GB with or without menu, it somehow encodes it to about 3.4GB.

Sorry if I confused a few but theirs a few different issues posted on this discussion hopefully someone can help me with maybe a better program as good as TMPGEnc that uses multi-thread or CUDA for AVI -> DVD. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Likwin8 -
    it's been my experience that the encode in DVD Author is just not as full featured, nor does it have the same quality
    as the standalone TMPGEnc Xpress.

You can give AVStoDVD a try, does the encoding and authoring. Uses popular tools such as HCenc and MuxMan.
    For the encode, you get a choice of 2-pass HCenc, 1-pass VBR HCenc, or 1-pass QUenc CBR. It makes the decision
    of which one to use based on the calculated bitrate. It can be overridden in the title and you can set it to what ever
    you want.

The complexity of the menu is not quite up to the level of TMPG DVD author, but MrC (the developer) is
    constantly improving it. Doesn't do HW acceleration, but it runs pretty well, HCenc makes good use
    of multiple core.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ahh great thanks for the input. When you mentioned "not the same quality", were you referring to the quality of options from both programs or the actual output quality from the encode?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might have to disagree with that. Even though i have not used TMPGENC express, i have converted many HD to SD files with TMPGENC Authoring Works 4 and have found the encoding quality to be better than AVSTODVD. Both are good though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD can use either QUenc or HCenc.
    Which one are you comparing it to? At lower bitrates,
    HCenc really does a great job.
    Saying that, I also have Tmpgenc Xpress 4 on my PC,
    and from time to time I do use it. It's built-in
    filters can be very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM