VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I've got a Panasonic DMR-ES20D UK version and am using it to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD. I'm sure it has some kind of video stabilizer or TBC built into it as it fixes some old VHS tapes which didn't play well before, such as shaky video and wavey signal. Basically its good for some tapes, however there are a few tapes which I am trying to copy which play perfectly if connected to the TV but when connected to he DVD recorder, the built in stabilizer/tbc adds a jitter to the video which just kills your eyes when trying to watch it D:

So basically all I want to know is if there is any way I am able to turn off the tbc when its not needed as there is no option for it.

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know of no way to turn off any TBC but if you push the DISPLAY button on the remote you can turn various NR settings as well as change the progressive mode. Personally I leave NR on and use VIDEO for mode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks

I know about the NR settings and they reduce the noise nicely so I prefer them on

For the shaking, i'll probably just have to copy the disc onto the computer afterwards and use some stabilization filter or something to fix it.

Thanks Again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you try manually adjusting the VCR tracking?
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I did that and it does reduce the shaking but doesn't remove it completely.
    Like I said it plays perfectly when connected direct to the TV so the built in TBC in the recorder seems to not like this tape
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about following possible reasons:
    - VHS is Macrovision protected ( you can see symptoms here http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html )
    - VHS is NTSC (no PAL used in UK) and VCR can't sync with it.
    Quote Quote