VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a .m2v (or .ts) mpeg-2 video file with interlaced frames (top and bottom fields). I want to extract top field of this video and convert it to a mpeg-1 video. Is there any tool to do this automatically ?

Height of the resulting video will be half of first video height. Extraction of top field with out any distortion (like interpolation, deinterlacing) is very important for me.

Thanks
    Vahid
    Quote Quote  
  2. AviSynth:

SeparateFields()
    SelectEven()

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/SeparateFields
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Select#SelectEven.2FSelectOdd

However, you can't just convert a field of MPEG-2 video to MPEG-1. It'll also have to be resized before being reencoded. Why are you doing this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks manono. I'm doing this for my video content analysis project. I have source code of a MPEG-1 decoder in java and i'm using it for low level feature extraction from videos. My videos are in mpeg-2 (544*576) and must be converted to MPEG-1 (544*288). Up to my knowledge MPEG-1 standard can support high resolution videos in higher bit-rates than 1.5M. Isn't that ? Can this cause any degradation in video quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Maybe it doesn't have to be resized. Maybe I should have stated it'll have to be resized for the final picture to look 'normal'. Yes, MPEG-1 video supports very high resolutions and very high bitrates.

And the act of reencoding to a lossy format always causes some quality degradation that may or may not be noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Maybe it doesn't have to be resized. Maybe I should have stated it'll have to be resized for the final picture to look 'normal'. Yes, MPEG-1 video supports very high resolutions and very high bitrates.

And the act of reencoding to a lossy format always causes some quality degradation that may or may not be noticeable.
    Thanks manono. I used tmpgenc tool to encode output of avisynth to mpeg-1. There is a negligible loss in video quality as you mentioned. The avisynth is a good tool .
    Last edited by vahid; 19th Oct 2010 at 02:28. Reason: misspelling
    Quote Quote