VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

I want to know if it's possible to re-encode an already encoded video (but this time, having wpredp=0) with the following requirements:

(1) no quality loss
    (2) output video size must not vary that much from the original; say 100mb (approx.) increase is fine. I mean, cuz I don't think that wpredp=2 is a major contributor to the compression of the output video right?

I've used mkv2vob and it has accomplished requirement (1) but not (2). The output video size became 1.5x the original.

I need to know if there's a way because this "wpredp option" is causing the video to pixelate and stutter on my PHILIPS BDP-7500.
    Last edited by ad.vid; 17th Oct 2010 at 10:22. Reason: wasn't clear enough
    Quote Quote  
  2. nope

you have to re-encode and you will lose quality

just re-encode the original source video (i.e. don't start from the encoded video)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply,

I don't have the original source of the video, nor do I have that much free space on my computer to convert the video to a lossless compression format and then re-encode it with wpredp=0.

There has to be another way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No there isn't. You have to re-encode the encoded video then, and suffer the loss

Decompressing to a lossless format doesn't provide any benefit here , and your player won't play a lossless format (lossless means equivalent to the encoded video, not the original source video - it doesn't recover the lost details or eliminate compression artifacts, and when you re-encode you still incur the generation loss) . Just re-encode directly from the encoded video.

Search for a firmware update on your player. Some companies have updated firmware that allow weightp compatibility e.g. oppo has done this for their BD players
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I asked PHILIPS and they said they won't make a firmware upgrade that would solve the issue.

Anyways, I'm discovered RipBot264 and it does a really good job of re-encoding without wpredp.

Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote