VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I'm have a little trouble finding out how to add hard subs to a MKV file. I'll explain my problem:

I have a MKV file with a selectable subtitle in it. It's all synced and perfectly fine when I play it on my computer. However if I stream it to my television I can't select the sub so I need to sub to be hard coded in the MKV so that it's always visible no matter what.

What is a good way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://quick-avi-creator.software.informer.com/

Click on video that shows how to use Quick AVI Creator.
    You can burn in the subs with it.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    http://quick-avi-creator.software.informer.com/

Click on video that shows how to use Quick AVI Creator.
    You can burn in the subs with it.
    Thanks will give this a try tonight.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Streaming with what ? There may be alternatives that don't require re-encoding your videos.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Streaming with what ? There may be alternatives that don't require re-encoding your videos.
    I have Samsung television wich has the possibility to stream audio/video/photos through the Samsung PC Share Manager to my tv.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Tried Quick AVI Creator. Everything goes fine until the encoding has to start again. If I select x264 the encoder starts and my CPU is 100% in use but nothing happends. Atleast after 2 hours the progresbar is just at the point where it started 2 hours before. If I pick xvid as encoder I get a unexpected error.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you just need to change the subtitle format. Some MKV files use subtitles in ASS format. This format is poorly supported by many playback devices. If this is the problem you'll need to demux the subs, use something like VobSub (the ReSynch program under VobSub) to convert from ASS to SRT, and then remux the new SRT subs into the MKV. Note that your Samsung TV may also possibly have problems with SUB/IDX subtitles too. SRT is the only subtitle format that is consistently well supported by a variety of playback devices.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by justforthispost View Post
    Tried Quick AVI Creator. Everything goes fine until the encoding has to start again. If I select x264 the encoder starts and my CPU is 100% in use but nothing happends. Atleast after 2 hours the progresbar is just at the point where it started 2 hours before. If I pick xvid as encoder I get a unexpected error.

Any ideas?
    Yes. Wait. Unless you have an 8 core PC x264 encoding for a 2 hour movie takes about 4 hours for one pass mode. If you are using the highest quality, it could take a long time. With Quick AVI Creator I use one pass for everything. One problem with the program is it doesn't really update the gui once the video is encoding. For xvid it shows some stats about half way through. But it produces good results once you get used to the foibles.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Maybe you just need to change the subtitle format. Some MKV files use subtitles in ASS format. This format is poorly supported by many playback devices. If this is the problem you'll need to demux the subs, use something like VobSub (the ReSynch program under VobSub) to convert from ASS to SRT, and then remux the new SRT subs into the MKV. Note that your Samsung TV may also possibly have problems with SUB/IDX subtitles too. SRT is the only subtitle format that is consistently well supported by a variety of playback devices.
    Can you tell how I can check wich subtile format is in my MKV file? And whats the best program to demux the MKV?

Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    Yes. Wait. Unless you have an 8 core PC x264 encoding for a 2 hour movie takes about 4 hours for one pass mode. If you are using the highest quality, it could take a long time. With Quick AVI Creator I use one pass for everything. One problem with the program is it doesn't really update the gui once the video is encoding. For xvid it shows some stats about half way through. But it produces good results once you get used to the foibles.
    I let Quick AVI Creator run for a couple of hours and now the new MKV file is finished! BUT the quality is really lacking...Originally it's a full HD MKV file from a 2hour movie. Total size is 11.6GB and after the work with Quick AVI Creator it's only 1.6GB. I don't want to compress my file as I want to keep the original HD quality.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Then you have to specify a higher bit rate instead of accepting the default. Use MediaInfo to see what the original bit rate is. Use something similar. Red Wine does hang on the forums, the autor of the program. You can ask him directly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    Then you have to specify a higher bit rate instead of accepting the default. Use MediaInfo to see what the original bit rate is. Use something similar. Red Wine does hang on the forums, the autor of the program. You can ask him directly.
    That did the trick! I now got a nominal bitrate of 8717 Kbps and the video looks ace.

Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  12. Glad it worked for you. Quick AVI Creator does have a few quirks, but is definitely something to keep in the toolbox. Plus just reading through the scripts I learned how to use xvid_encraw directly.
    Quote Quote