VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I don't know if saturated is the right word for the title but I didn't know what else to call it. I used saturated in a non-technical way. When I try to watch Journey to the Edge of the Universe (and just a couple other fast moving movies with a lot of detail), all the motion makes the movie freeze and then pick up again a few seconds later.

The movies were originally HD .mkv files. I joined them and changed the ext to .avi and play them on VLC Media Player. In Tools > Messages, I changed the Verbosity Level to 2 and saved the log but it didn't help. I have about 75 HD movies stored but only a few with a lot of detail has the problem, the rest play fine. I also tried playing them on Media Player HomeCinema but the problem remained.

I have a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitor, an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield, Socket 775 LGA, and an ASUS EAH4650-DI-512MD2 graphics card and my drives are WD Caviar Black so I don't think my hardware's the problem, but you never know.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is or if there's another setting I can change to fix the problem? Any advice will be extremely appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open the file in question in MediaInfo (text view) and post the results here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VLC only has a single threaded h.264 decoder. You need a dual core CPU (which you have) and a multithreaded h.264 decoder to play 1080p properly, or a video card with DXVA GPU h.264 decoding and a player that supports DXVA. MPCHC has both a multithreaded h.264 decoder built in and DXVA support. Or get a player that can use DirectShow decoders and install a multithreaded DirectShow decoder like ffdshowmt, Divx (their h.264 decoder), CoreAVC Pro, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MediaInfo:

General
    Complete name : H:\movies 00-pr\-«]„[ovie»- HD Journey to the Edge of the Universe 2008 (br-koadic 1080p wma.6ch 1920x1080).avi
    Format : Windows Media
    File size : 7.44 GiB
    Duration : 1h 30mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 11.8 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 14.4 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-05-27 03:23:43.839
    Cover : Y
    Video
    ID : 3
    Format : VC-1
    Format profile : AP@L3
    Codec ID : WVC1
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Description of the codec : VC-1 - VC-1 Advanced Profile
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 11.1 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.179
    Stream size : 7.01 GiB (94%)
    Audio #1
    ID : 1
    Format : WMA3
    Format profile : M2
    Codec ID : 162
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio 3
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio 10 Professional - VBR Quality 98, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass VBR
    Bit rate : 362 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Stream size : 235 MiB (3%)
    Audio #2
    ID : 2
    Format : WMA2
    Format profile : L3
    Codec ID : 161
    Codec ID/Info : Windows Media Audio 2
    Description of the codec : Windows Media Audio 10 Professional - VBR Quality 98, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass VBR
    Bit rate : 254 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Stream size : 164 MiB (2%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my own box, 1080p with VC-1 advanced codec is also very difficult to play properly.
    I have DXVA set up and working using Media Player Classic-Home Cinema (MPC-HC) which works good for some flavors
    of 1080p and all 720P I've seen so far. But it doesn't kick in for 1080p VC-1 advanced -
    so you're left with CPU decoding only, which can be heavy.

Whether DXVA works is determined on the player, video card and driver. Try MPCHC and see if you can get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Media Player x86 freezes.

VLC has a plug-in libh264_plugin.dll

I have Divx installed

I have ffdshow-rev3611_20101006_x64 installed but I didn't configure it myself, just left it the way it was.

I just installed MPCHC v1.4.2499.0.x64 but it didn't install in the usual way. It just opened MPHC and when I tried to open the movie, it said that it can't render the file.

I installed Divx Pro/Plus. When I tried to open the movie with it, I received the message that says "This video is in an unsupport format and cannot be played without installing additional DirectShow Filters," but since it doesn't say which ones are needed, I don't know what to install. I have enough installed so that everything plays fine except for the 3 or 4 hd movies. 70+ hd movies play fine on all players.

I installed CoreCodec.CoreAVC.Professional.Edition.v2.0.0.0 which supports nVidia CUDA and installed nVidia drivers for nVidia CUDA-enables cards and nVida video drivers. I wash't sure if my card is nVidia supported so I installed it to see if it would help but it didn't, the Divx player gave me the message again.

I just installed ffdshowmt from the link given above (rev3562_20100907) but it didn't fix the prob.

I'm not sure if I made myself clear in my original post. I watch the movies on my computer, not on an attached device and not burned to disk.
    Last edited by HartsVideo; 12th Oct 2010 at 11:10. Reason: additional info
    Quote Quote  
  7. The movies were originally HD .mkv files. I joined them and changed the ext to .avi
    That's probably your problem . Many programs will not decode wvc1 in "fake" avi container . Play the original in MPCHC
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    On my own box, 1080p with VC-1 advanced codec is also very difficult to play properly.
    I have DXVA set up and working using Media Player Classic-Home Cinema (MPC-HC) which works good for some flavors
    of 1080p and all 720P I've seen so far. But it doesn't kick in for 1080p VC-1 advanced -
    so you're left with CPU decoding only, which can be heavy.

Whether DXVA works is determined on the player, video card and driver. Try MPCHC and see if you can get it to work.
    This is probably because of your graphics card. IIRC, your model (8600GT) doesn't fully support WVC1 (newer cards do) - it only has partial DXVA support
    Quote Quote  
  9. Play the original in MPCHC
    your graphics card. IIRC, your model (8600GT) doesn't fully support WVC1
    I changed the ext back to .mkv. VLC still freezes, MediaPlayer still can't render the file, and Divx still says "unsupported format . . ."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Your file isn't an MKV or an AVI. It's a WMV file:

MediaInfo:

General
    Complete name : H:\movies 00-pr\-«]„[ovie»- HD Journey to the Edge of the Universe 2008 (br-koadic 1080p wma.6ch 1920x1080).avi
    Format : Windows Media
    If WMP can't play it properly on your computer (after downloading the VC1 cocec) nothing will.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try changing the extension to .wmv
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Generally, to play the MKV in WMP, you need the Haali media splitter and perhaps CoreAVC
    or FFDshow with H264 decoding switched on.

In MPC-HC, view/options/internal fiters.
    Check the settings for source filters Matroska, (try it enabled,
    or disabled if Haali is installed)
    Transform filters VC1 dxva and ffmpeg. Try disabling, and it should use standard
    Windows filters.

poisondeathray - it makes sense and I assumed as much . There was a utility called
    DXVAChecker. About a year ago it was driving me crazy trying to interpret what it
    was telling me. In the end I never fully understood it and gave up. I stumble
    upon so few VC1 files, mainly trailers, that it doesn't bother me. I'll live with that
    limitation in my current PC. They still play, even in WMP 11 with MS codecs -
    uses about 35% of my (modest) dual core.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Generally, to play the MKV in WMP, you need the Haali media splitter and perhaps CoreAVC or FFDshow with H264 decoding switched on.
    That is 100 percent accurate. But contrary to what he said in his original post he has a WMV file not an MKV file. So none of that will help him with this particular file.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Generally, to play the MKV in WMP, you need the Haali media splitter and perhaps CoreAVC or FFDshow with H264 decoding switched on.
    That is 100 percent accurate. But contrary to what he said in his original post he has a WMV file not an MKV file. So none of that will help him with this particular file.

Ooops... then if it's a WMV file, it should play in WMP without any further additions to the system.
    Presumably, some acceleration is available in recent systems ? Isn't there an option to include HW
    decoding in the WMP preferences ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. In MPC-HC, view/options/internal fiters.
    Check the settings for source filters Matroska, (try it enabled,
    or disabled if Haali is installed)
    I have Haali Media Splitter installed but when I started the movie in MPChC x86 and checked Matroska as above, the movie no longer freezes! (it still freezes when I tried VLC and Divx though, and it won't play on MPCHC x64 even with Metroska checked)

Thanks! I can now watch the movie without the constant stops and restarts

P.S. The movie was originally an .mkv file but I changed the ext to .avi.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by HartsVideo View Post
    P.S. The movie was originally an .mkv file but I changed the ext to .avi.
    It may have had .MKV as the extension but it was a .WMV file according to MediaInfo -- which is very good at determining container types. If it was really an MKV file MediaInfo would have said "Format : Matroska".
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The video is also a downloaded wmv which can also just be a bad movie file.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I wanted to know if anyone knows how to fix the problem of playing hd m2ts files that have the VC1 AP@L3 in them
    I noticed that MPC and Windows Media player will not play the video; the screen is black
    all other blu-ray video files from movies play fine; interestedly, Power DVD 9 or 10 plays these files with no problem

the reason I ask is because these same AP@L3 files cannot be inputted in softwares like Nero 10, Xilisoft, Sothink,etc

all of these softwares can take other m2ts files with no problem; no copy protection on any of these files

I think it has to be the same reason; some type of codec; the files that play on MPC or Windows Media player can be inputted in all these softwares to edit or make disc, etc

can anyone let me know what codec I need to install to get these to play
    Quote Quote  
  19. Do you have a DirectShow VC1 decoder installed? Try ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I tried that; same result; I think I already had that in my system; most m2ts files play fine with WMP and MPC and Power DVD
    only certain ones with AP@L3; which I noticed are some concert files; all other m2ts play fine with all the softwares
    Quote Quote  
  21. Most of your m2ts files are probably h.264, not VC1. Be sure the VC1 decoder is enabled in ffdshow. Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video Decoder Configuration. In the left pane select Codecs. In the right pane locate VC-1 and set it to libavcodec or WMV9.

If you're using MPCHC (which has a built in VC-1 decoder, unlike MPC) you might try switching its state there. View -> Options -> Internal Filters -> Transform Filters -> VC1...
    Quote Quote  
  22. yeah I tried the liba and wmv9; same result; the wmp and mpc will not play the file and nero and xilisoft will not take the file as input ; those softwares will take the file and you see the black screen in the edit section so same result

any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote