VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need a media center that i can hook up to my hdtv (with hdmi) and be able to set the audio to go through optical audio instead of hdmi when i want to. I would like it to either have the capability to have an internal hdd or use esata. It would also be great if i could stream movies from the media center to other devices like a ps3. I dont want to go over $200 thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you considered a Western Digital WDTV Live? It would do most all of that for about $100. Throw in an external hard drive and you should be set.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the reply. Yea i have been looking at that one but i really want/need either esata or the ability to put a hard drive in the system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    USB 2.0 is plenty fast enough for HDD MKV playback. But you could get a external enclosure with eSATA/USB 2.0 and use the eSATA to load the videos. I may be wrong, but I don't know of any standalone external boxes that also have eSATA and work similar to a WDTV.

Or you could build a HTPC that would do all that, but not likely for ~$200US.

What I do is use video servers to hold my videos. These are recycled computers with multiple hard drives, accessed over a LAN connection to the WDTV or to my other computers for playback.
    Quote Quote  
  5. OK that sounds great! Will i be able to stream movies from my usb hard drive to other devices like a ps3? If so, do you know if i can stream a movie to a ps3 and watch a movie on the wdtv at the same time? What do you think of the AC Ryan PLayonHD? or the Dragontech iobox-100HD?
    Last edited by ReaperBoy2010; 6th Oct 2010 at 08:16.
    Quote Quote