VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone please help me out here. It's been very frustrating trying to find a product that does what I need in my budget.

I want to copy my DVDs to my harddrive and stream them via DLNA.

I've found two applications that can stream DVD ISOs..

1. PS3 Media Server
    2. Wild Media Server

The problem:

1. PS3 Media Sever fails to stream many of my DVDs.
    2. Wild Media Server is way to expensive and restrictive which is shame as it does everything exactly how I want..

Can someone please point me to a Media Server that will run on my windows machine that will stream DVD IOSs using DLNA?

Note: I do not want to rip my DVDs into MP4 or any other format. I want to preserve the DVD file structure.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Haven't tried this yet, but from what I read I think it does not require you to convert your files prior to streaming.

Was going to try this app out this weekend. To stream video directly to my TV, it uses UPnP and DLNA. It's a trial app for 15 days, but the paid version is only $40. Anyone know of an free app that can do what this does?

I have an old dell machine I use as a server and would attach my usb hd to it. Then stream it over my network where my TV can find it I hope my TV can be found in the search it performs.

http://www.nero.com/enu/mediahome4-introduction.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think Playon will do what you want, it's available on this site.

I've been trying to setup a media server here at my place but I think I have some issue with port forwarding or a lan issue.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try this page, read, take it all in and choose what suits you best!

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use PlayOn for Streaming Netflix to my WDTV Live. PlayOn can stream local media too but as far as I can tell It doesn't support DVD ISO images. Of course, The WDTV Live supports DVD ISO on network shares so I don't need it from PlayOn.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for all the links will try them out. I did find that my samsung tv had some software i downloaded off
    their website.

Samsung share manager, I am not sure if it will work if you dont have a samsung tv but it did find all of
    my other dlna devices as well.

It allows me to add my usb drive to my local pc as a joined drive. (the drive acts like a folder in my local c drive) that is the only way this application will work with an external storage device I guess.

Anyway if you join the drive I can't seem to share the folder so my other machines can add content to the drive. But I can see my other computers from the share manager computer and run a scheduled app to copy content from the other machines to it. So now at least I dont have to keep unplugging the drive to add content. I do however need to have a machine running to use the share app. But I already have one computer running 24/7 to run my magic jack, and share drives so no biggie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having the trouble to stream my ripped DVD's to my Samsung TV. I'm using WMP as DLNA server. The TV can see vob files, but some of them is unable to play (within the same DVD?!).
    I'm not sure if making an ISO image will work (I think WMP doesn't support ISO MPEG2 files streaming).
    So the choice is either dive into trying some other DLNA servers (like PS3Server, Serviio) or just convert them into H264/MP4 files and be done with it (ah, will have to accept the conversion loss...).
    Anyone has better idea?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usta View Post
    I'm having the trouble to stream my ripped DVD's to my Samsung TV. I'm using WMP as DLNA server. The TV can see vob files, but some of them is unable to play (within the same DVD?!).
    I'm not sure if making an ISO image will work (I think WMP doesn't support ISO MPEG2 files streaming).
    So the choice is either dive into trying some other DLNA servers (like PS3Server, Serviio) or just convert them into H264/MP4 files and be done with it (ah, will have to accept the conversion loss...).
    Anyone has better idea?
    You are correct that WMP doesn't support ISO files and it is a poor video server, another problem is not all devices support ISO files. Your best bet is to rip your DVD's to VOB's.

I recommend TVersity or TVMOBili which are free, if they don't work try PlayOn which will convert everything to MPEG.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 26th Dec 2010 at 12:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post

You are correct that WMP doesn't support ISO files and it is a poor video server, another problem is not all devices support ISO files. Your best bet is to rip your DVD's to VOB's.

I recommend TVersity or TVMOBili which are free, if they don't work try PlayOn which will convert everything to MPEG.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try TVersity.

My DVD's are ripped into VOBs. Which program would be best to glue vobs together into one file (just select one file and play)? Right now I'm thinking of Avidemux.
    Alternatively, I think somewhere in the forum I saw a possibility to package DVD into mkv without conversion (hope Tversity can handle mkv). I'd prefer to keep my videos in one file rather than many files in a folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
    Quote Quote