VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Guys,

I wanted to know,If I have a HD video clip how do I find out from that video clip if it is made up of 1080p, 720p, or anything else. If I want to play a HD video which should occupy full screen on my phone but coz my phone is only 3.5 Inches and supports only 800x480 pixel, Out of the above ratios i.e. of 1080, 720p, 720i To what should I convert that Video clip so that it will retain the HD video quality and at the same time it will play in full screen without stretching or distorting the image. How can I do that ?

My problem is whenever I try to play a HD video clip my phone plays that video with Black Bar on the top and bottom of that video, which I am guessing is because the Phone resolution is different from the HD video. So how and what do I do so that it fits the entire screen,maintains the HD quality and still does not show those Black bar at the top and the bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't without distorting the images. 800/480 = 16:10(1.6:1) and no movies are in that format. But it's close to 16:9(1.77:1) so I would probably just convert to such display aspect ratio, like 1280x720 and then the let player stretch the image or get used with black borders. For movies with 4:3 and 2.35 movies will you of course get black borders or else must you crop a lot of the video.

And this is not dvd ripping. Moving you the video conversion section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HD clips are 16:9. Your phone probably has a 4:3 screen. The only way to show the full picture without distortion is to add letterbox bars at the top and bottom. If you cut the sides to make the 16:9 clip into 4:3, then the clip is no longer conforming to HD specs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    HD clips are 16:9. Your phone probably has a 4:3 screen. The only way to show the full picture without distortion is to add letterbox bars at the top and bottom. If you cut the sides to make the 16:9 clip into 4:3, then the clip is no longer conforming to HD specs.
    But my phone has a wide viewing angle please go thru this spec URL of the phone http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications

It does support Wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA) so what do I do and how do I do it to convert it to fit into my phones resolution, and what u r saying also is if I convert it to fit in to my phones format it no longer would be a HD clip ? will the quality detiorate drastically ?

One more thing that I wanted to know is if my phone has a 800x480 pixel resolution what format should I convert it so that it occupy full screen ? I have still not got that is it 1280x720 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by augustya View Post
    But my phone has a wide viewing angle please go thru this spec URL of the phone http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications. It does support Wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA)
    I stand corrected. The N900 should be able to display a 16:9 widescreen clip to full frame.

If the movie clip is even wider than 16:9, say 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 like theatrical movies, then there will often be letterbox bars as part of the video, as is the case with uncropped DVD rips and BD rips.

Perhaps the video playback software has a zoom/crop feature to make such clips full screen?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    But my phone has a wide viewing angle please go thru this spec URL of the phone http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications. It does support Wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA)
    I stand corrected. The N900 should be able to display a 16:9 widescreen clip to full frame.

If the movie clip is even wider than 16:9, say 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 like theatrical movies, then there will often be letterbox bars as part of the video, as is the case with uncropped DVD rips and BD rips.

Perhaps the video playback software has a zoom/crop feature to make such clips full screen?
    No video playback does not give any option to play it fullscreen. I uploaded a HD video clip from www.apple.com/trailers and it played with Black Bar on top and bottom of the screen, which really frustrates me, what do I do in that case. If I have to convert it to my phone's format my phone is 3.5 inch 800x480 pixel resolution. So what ratio do I need to convert it to play it full screen.

Can someone please list down the steps on how to do it ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I uploaded a HD video clip from www.apple.com/trailers and it played with Black Bar on top and bottom of the screen
    Many of those clips are wider than 16:9, especially the action movies. Alice in Wonderland is a known recent 16:9 movie. Try that one for comparison.

For a wider clip to fit in a full 16:9 frame, you'll need to cut off the sides, thereby loosing some of the picture.
    To convert a 1280x544 movie ("720p" trailer) to 800x480, you'll want to crop 190px from left and right to make it 900x544, then scale to 800x480 (assuming square pixels.)
    Quote Quote