VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I have some (rmvb,mkv) video files and i'd like to know how to remove a certain scenes from them and save the new files without this scenes .any help???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You may find that very difficult with RMVB as it's a highly proprietary format and not that many editors are available. I would convert it to something easier to edit. MKV varies, depending on the codecs used. Both formats share one major editing problem. They are very highly compressed and even for simple cuts and pastes you would have to cut on a keyframe to limit sync problems and video distortion. Otherwise you would likely have to re-encode the file. Key frames are generally widely spaced with these type of formats, so frame accurate editing is very difficult without re-encoding.

If I had to do frame accurate edits, I would convert the files to a lossless codec like HuffyUV or Lagarith and edit in that, then re-encode to the preferred format. I've used Any Video Converter for the conversions as it can usually handle RMVB. MKV is a bit more complex as that's just the container name, not what formats/codecs the file is using. If it's H.264 and AAC audio, not so easy to edit either.

But others here may have better advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks for your help but could you tell me what is the best way to convert rmvb&mkv to Avi and then remove the scene from the avi file??
    Quote Quote