VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a NEC 2100AD DVD writer. This drive will play all DVD's but will only write to DVD+R. I have heard that it is possible to "flash" the firmware and/or drivers that will allow it to write to DVD-R also. Is this possible? If so, may I have some new bee dummy how to instructions please.

THX

DBM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your dvd burner is a older model....better to just buy a new dvd burner which you can get for under $20.00 from Newegg...if you flash a dvd burner incorrectly the drive is dead.....IMHO buy a new burner.....Just my 2cents!

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=5&name=CD-DVD-Burners
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thankx Budz for the help and link. I will get a new one from New Egg. Should I set the new burner up as the slave or master on the IDE cable?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It certainly was possible to do this. I had a NEC burner that came with HP PC that I bought about 5 or so years ago and I had to do that to it. It worked fine after flashing it. Honestly, that NEC was one of the best burners I've ever owned. But you might want to consider budz' idea. Your burner is pretty old if you have to even consider this. They haven't made +R only and -R only burners in years. The newer Samsung burners are pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thankx for the help fellas. Just ordered a Samsung IDE burner for 17.00. Should I set it up as a slave or master?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    set up as master...buy a new 80 wire ide cable as well....newer ide dvd burners require them...

http://www.svc.com/md-24-ata-3bu.html
    Quote Quote