+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Sorry, I can't recall what version worked well in the past
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that you are a fan of MeGUI, Poisondeathray, and I'm taking a look at that program. Wondering if you could point me towards some info on what the various settings stand for. I'd like just some some explanations on what the various modes are that are available (i.e. ABR, 3pass - 3rd pass).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I actually don't like the way megui is setup, and the profiles aren't very good IMO. But it's the only GUI that allows easy customization of settings and has everything laid out.

3pass is uncessary, if you need a set bitrate use 2pass mode

ABR (average bitrate) is a 1pass mode, but worse than CRF. I can't think of any reason to use ABR mode

CRF is constant rate factor - you can think of it as average quality for a certain quantizer, but the quantizer varies around that average quantizer (variable quantizer). There is no way to predict the ending filesize or bitrate (it's like quantizer encoding in xvid, but more complex)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the difference between the 2 - 2pass options (i.e. 1st Pass and 2nd Pass)?

Also, when I load my .avs file should both my video and audio load dialog boxes load? I'm not seeing anything for audio...

This might go back to the problem I was having with RipBot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. 1st pass is for 1st pass, 2nd pass is for 2nd pass. You probably want to use automated 2pass. There are times when you want just a 1st pass or 2nd pass for codec testing

megui is set up that way on purpose - so video & audio is encoded separately, then muxed later

If you want to do it together, you can queue them up with the auto encode button

Since xvid4psp worked ok for you, why not stick what that ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually my finished file with xvid4psp had an error in it (a flashing white block). I initially use 3 pass (thinking that would be the best quality) and it took a long, long time to encode. Thinking that switching GUI programs was probably barking up the wrong tree. Now that I know that 2 pass is plenty, I'll change that. Maybe you could clear this up for me...in the audio options in xvid4psp I switch to VBR and the bitrate options go to .64, .64, etc. I'm used to setting audio bit rate options that are represented in kbps (i.e. 64, 128). Can you shed some light on what these decimal places mean?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bsuska View Post
    Actually my finished file with xvid4psp had an error in it (a flashing white block). I initially use 3 pass (thinking that would be the best quality) and it took a long, long time to encode. Thinking that switching GUI programs was probably barking up the wrong tree. Now that I know that 2 pass is plenty, I'll change that. Maybe you could clear this up for me...in the audio options in xvid4psp I switch to VBR and the bitrate options go to .64, .64, etc. I'm used to setting audio bit rate options that are represented in kbps (i.e. 64, 128). Can you shed some light on what these decimal places mean?
    Those are for quality settings (AAC quality encoding mode). You probably want to use a set bitrate, like 128k etc... for bitrate encoding mode

3pass gains virtually nothing over 2pass rate control. This has been tested, one of the main x264 developers has also confirmed it. You will gain more by using better settings e.g. subme 10, all partitions, etc..

RE: flashing white block - what media player? does it occur in MPCHC ?

What was your avs script? does it occur if you preview script only ?

Can you post a screenshot or video sample ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't give me that option when my encoding mode is set to VBR (which is what I've always encoded in the past). If I switch it to CBR or ABR then I get 128k, 64k, etc. Do you recommend I use CBR or ABR over VBR?

I use usually use FLV Player to view my mp4's. This particular file I also opened with QuickTime and noticed that there were more errors. Ultimately, I just need these things to look good in a browser (Flash or HTML 5). Your saying that I shouldn't always believe what my current video players are playing?
    Quote Quote  
  9. "ABR" is the equivalent term when using NeroAAC for "VBR". When using NeroAAC, you should be using "ABR" when filesize/bitrate matters. CBR should almost never be used (unless you have specific streaming packet size requirements)

I suspect what you are seeing is weightp decoding artifact

There is a bug in quicktime and non windows flash players for weightp (it's fully spec compliant, the problem is linux flash, mac flash, QT aren't compliant decoders - it has been fixed on PC versions of Adobe Flash)

If you want crossplatform compatibility, disable weightp when you encode
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Oct 2010 at 15:49.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, just to clarify - inside xvid4psp (I'm going back to that program and not MeGui) - under Audio Encoding mode - choose ABR? Not ABR 2-Pass? I assume AAC-HE is the right AAC Profile?

What is so confusing in this world is all the different names for the same things. When you reference NeroAAC is that the same as AAC? (Just wondering).

Thanks again for all of your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  11. There's different "kinds" or brands of AAC . CT-AAC ,FAAC, Nero. Nero is considered the best in terms of quality, xvid4psp uses the nero version. I don't think there is a 2pass ABR mode for AAC. AAC-HE should work fine for streaming (Adobe supports it, HE= high efficiency) , some devices only support the LC profile (low complexity)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a ABR-2pass in the drop down. I guess that I would like as many people as possible to see these videos. They will never really be streaming as they are progressive downloads from our site. Better to go with the LC codec?
    Quote Quote  
  13. LC is safer profile, but I think almost everything supports HE by now. HEPS is the version not necessarily supported

Are you sure there is a 2pass mode for AAC audio? I don't see it (but I have older version installed)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I'm staring at it right now. Think that is a better option than ABR? Seems like it logically would (if encoding time is not an issue).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, just noticed that they have an "Auto" option. Does this mean that they will pick the profile for you? If so, how? Analyzing your bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
  16. It should be better. According to various audio forums, the quality modes are supposed to be the best (but filesize unpredictable). I don't know much about audio

Also, just noticed that they have an "Auto" option. Does this mean that they will pick the profile for you? If so, how? Analyzing your bitrate?

not sure. I hate using anything "auto"

What version are you using ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed on the "auto" thing. It must be the latest. I just downloaded and installed yesterday. It is version 5.0.
    Quote Quote  
  18. OK I just updated that and I see 2pass AAC option now. I have no idea what "auto" does
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quick question...is there a general rule one should use when setting keyframe frequency. I've seen anywhere from every 300 frames to 30 frames get recommended.

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by bsuska View Post
    Quick question...is there a general rule one should use when setting keyframe frequency. I've seen anywhere from every 300 frames to 30 frames get recommended.

Thanks...

You're not going to like this answer:

No.

It's going to depend on many factors from whether you use navigation points/seek points to the level of compression (relative to content complexity) you are using

In general, if your end users need to seek in smaller increments, use a lower max keyframe interval (--keyint) (I'm assuming this is still for online flash, because there are restrictions for other things like blu-ray and devices)

Longer keyframe max interval can potentially improve compression, and can decrease quality in some other situations - but it will depend on the specific situation. Note these are "forced" keyframes - with scene changes if you have scenecut enabled, a keyframe will automatically be inserted anyway
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank again...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Morning Poison...

More questions...is there a way to change the container format without re-encoding the file? My system natively spits out a DV file wrapped in an .avi, but I get requests for this same DV file in a .mov file format...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by bsuska View Post
    More questions...is there a way to change the container format without re-encoding the file? My system natively spits out a DV file wrapped in an .avi, but I get requests for this same DV file in a .mov file format...
    ffmpeg

e.g

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mov

If you have a lot of them you can make a .bat file to batch re-wrap files in a folder
    Quote Quote