VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to edit files without re encoding. I thought VDM would do this and installed 1.5.10.2.b2542. I am a newbie to editing, (I'm not even familiar with Vdub); but I imported VOB streams (which it seemed to accept okay) - clipped and used 'direct stream copy' - but when I played back the edited files they had no audio. I must have missed a step somewhere...? Will VDM edit Mpeg2 video streams or not?

Thinking VOB might be the issue I tried converting a file to AVI format, using an AVI converter, but when I tried to open it in VDM I got this message:

VDM has detected an improper VBR encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream 1). The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with the standard CBR values during the processing for better compatibility. This may produce up to 0 ms skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable decompress the 'entire' audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a contant bitrate encoder (bitrate:128.0 -0.0kbps)

Well, I can read it - but this newbie doesn't understand it

An idiot's guide to VDM wouldn't go amiss - (speaking as an idiot......)

All I want to do is edit vobs/mpeg2 with accuracy and no (or little) loss of quality.....I am considering VideoRedo or Womble's latest incarnation, but I'm bit torn as I wouldn't mind investing in a reliable all in one that would to create subtitles too.....I wish I could get hold of Maestro....I tried AviDemux, but couldn't get it to work for me. Using XP sp3 by the way.
    Quote Quote  
  2. VirtualDubMod will not edit VOB files without reencoding. Regarding the missing audio -- you probably don't have an AC3 decoder. Usually, answering "no" to the VBR MP3 question will work. Get Mpg2Cut2 to edit VOB files without reencoding. You can only cut on keyframes though (usually at about 1/2 second intervals in VOB files).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub is primarily an .avi editor (although with the proper plugins it will open a variety of video formats), but it is not the best tool for vob/mpeg2 streams. As jagabo suggested, try Mpg2Cut2. If that doesn't work, you may have to try a payware MPEG editor, like Womble MPEG Video Wizard.

VBR in your audio means Variable Bitrate. It compresses the audio stream nicely, but is prone to loss of synchronization with picture, depending upon the playback device. You can always convert it to CBR -- Constant Bitrate.
    Quote Quote