VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with the Samsung BD-C5500 region code hack on the refurbished units being sold by Best Buy? The BB site lists these as a BD-C-5500C although the box it shipped in identified it as a BD-C5500XAA, which is the standard unit).

I tried the hack listed for the BD-C5500 and after 30 or so attempts I gave up. I followed the original directions to the letter, using REPEAT 29334 for a region 1 player but I never see the region code displayed.

I tried all the variances listed in that posting (opening and closing the tray, not opening and closing the tray, waiting until you see the "No Disc" message in the top left corner, waiting until after the message disappears etc etc.) all to no avail.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing unusual about the refurb model, so I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone offer some insight into the exact timing of the remote keypad entries?

Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have NEVER heard of a Samsung BluRay player sold in the USA and Canada that can be made region free with a hack. Samsung and Sony players of all types are among the most difficult in the world to unlock right now. The ONLY BluRay players sold in the USA that I know that can be made region free for anything are Oppo and Momitsu and both require hardware hacks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Many thanks for the quick response. I'm wondering if we are at cross purposes here? I am not trying to make the player region free for Blu Ray, I understand that the player is locked for that purpose, but according to this thread

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-bd-c5500/10794

the player can be made region free for standard DVDs.

My sincere apologies if I posted this request in the wrong location and for any confusion that may have caused.

Best regards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My message stands whether you are talking about region free only for DVD or for both DVD and BluRay playback. NEVER heard of ANY Samsung BluRay player sold in the USA and Canada that can be made region free - period.

Just FYI, hacks sometimes don't work due to hardware differences between players sold in different parts of the world. For example your hack might work - if you buy a player in, say, Australia.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I had read elsewhere that people had gotten this to work with the US version of the player but whet you are saying here certainly bears out what I am seeing.

Best regards.
    Quote Quote