VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i would like to convert my futurama dvds to a format my media streamer can play with no loss in quality, well some but as little as possible, my device cannot play vobs and i have a 50" inch TV, when i convert them using AGK it goes from a 1gb file to a 200mb ish file and is kinda dull and although good quality it is slightly pixelated (unlike the VOB) how can i convvert to any Mp4/AVI format with the same quality as the VOB? My devicer plays but will not FF orRW MKV so i''d like to avoid that route.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just use a higher bitrate.

Remember though unless you get something that can play vobs (say from a dvd shrink processing to get them smaller) you will incur some quality loss. How much depends on the codec you use and how much bitrate you use.

Consider looking into a media player like the wdtv media player or one of its competitors. It can do vobs off a harddrive or isos if you wish - they can be direct rips with no compression. Then you can just get as large of a harddrive as you want and copy them over.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ive got got like 6TB on my machine, i like my current media streamer for the plugins it has for retrieving IMBD posters etc so i'm dubious about swapping. Is there no way to do a 1:1 copy with no loss? simply increase the bitrate?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davross23
    Is there no way to do a 1:1 copy with no loss? simply increase the bitrate?
    Its not that simple. Like I said a higher bitrate will help but any conversion (even using dvd shrink) introduces some quality loss.

Why not use a streamer that supports vobs or iso? Then simply use the exact original and stream that? Try tversity or playon for streaming vobs or isos. Then you will be using the original dvd itself just on a harddrive not the disc drive.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just rip the DVDs to your harddrive with something like AnyDVD or DVDFab. Then just remux the files into a single mpg file with VideoRedo or VOB2MPG. No re-encoding = no quality loss.
    Quote Quote