VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this question hasn't been asked a million times. I've been searching and haven't see it addressed.
    I'm capturing some old VHS tapes to my harddrive using the wintv go pci card (I know - I need an updated card).
    I'm capturing at 352x288, YUY2, 25fps using divx 4.12 as a compressor, 1 pass with a bitrate of 900kps.

If I watch the output on tv at the full size, the tv scales it up to the full resolution, and it looks crappy.
    I'm streaming it from my computer with Xbox classic xbox media centre, and if I adjust it to show the video at the original 352x288 size, it centers a much smaller video on my tv, surrounded by black. The smaller picture is much more acceptable, and I would prefer it to look like this.

Is there a tool that will embed the 352x288 video into a 720x480 black screen so that when my relatives watch this on their dvd player, it will show up as the smaller video with the better picture?

I should mention that the tape in question is a compilation of 8mm movies that were copied to the VHS tape... so the quality is as you can imagine for 8mm t apes from the 60s.
    And, do you think my capture settings are adequate for VHS....

I'm a newbie on the board. Apologies if I put this in the wrong forum. Thanks for any help.
    Tom
    Last edited by the_bear99; 25th Sep 2010 at 10:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may need a linear editor such as Sony Movie Studio (you can use the demo), or something else that can zoom so you can use a black solid and scale down the video so that the resolution will remain in demension.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capture at 352x576, interlaced MPEG2 with DVD compatible settings, flagged 4:3 DAR.
    Quote Quote