VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

Been a while since Ive done any of this, but new to Blu. I have a 2 phase query, hopefully some advice can be given on both.
    I will be moving apartment soon, so Ill probably have to put some stuff in storage for a bit.

So phase 1 is I want to rip the majority of my collection onto my NAS, "as is" no compressing, converting or messing about.... for now, that will come later.
    As there is nothing I initailly want to change (just a direct dump of about 60 movies onto the storage in all its HiDEF glory) I assume all I need is something like DVDFab or AnyDVD to rip it to the Harddrive. I started with Fab and am wondering if I will be able to continue ripping the context of the disc after the expiration of the trial? OR.. should I be looking at just using AnyDVD from the start to avoid any issues in the futrue.

As for Phase two, I want to stream the BD directly from the file server to the PS3, Firstly I have been able to stream the .m2ts files directly, however the main HD audio track doesn't play, I ripped "man on fire" and was able to select through tracks 2-4 (Thai and commentry) however the main HD Lossless track doesn't play. I am assuming this has something to do with the PS3 pass through to the reciever, maybe it can pass it through the PS3 from the disc but not from the streamng files? if anyone can elbarate would be great, as I know the PS3 has limitations on some of these HD Audio tracks.
    So question here is,

Will I be forced in some way to re-encode my un-touched rips in order to successfully stream to PS3?

If so how can I do it by affecting the quality (pic and audio) as little as possible?

And if I do change the original, can I do it in a way that I could burn back to a BD-R in the future? Hopefully with max quality.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried stream with ps3 media server?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, PS3 Media Server is what I use to stream.

I'm home now, so can tell you that the track is DTS HD Master (lossless)

Anyway the more I read, the more I think that I am going to have to do something to the orginal source to consistently stream.

TsMuxer and MakeMKV looks like a place to start.

And can any one tell me what is AVCHD file is?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, not getting much responses...

Been reading lots over the weekend and its looking more and more likely that I wont be able to stream to the PS3 without some sort of encoding or muxing.. Have tried running some .m2ts through tsmuxer without any luck. When I stream the .m2ts directly through the PS3, it either comes up with the descriptive comments on top of the track or the wrong language, I can select the audio tracks but struggle with the main english track due to it being HD.

I am considering getting a popcorn hour, it appears they can stream a ripped Blu-Ray either from folders or iso without making any changes at all to the original rip. Anyone got any experience with popcorn hours.. 200 series...??
    Quote Quote