VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I got this new motherboard. Here: MB GIGABYTE|GA-880GA-UD3H R

I also have 4 sticks of ram here. Here is one: MEM 2Gx2|GSK F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT R
    The other are 2 matching sets of 1GB each.

The MOBO has 4 RAM Slots. But I know that there are specific sequences etc... you should do for RAM. I'd like to use all 6GB if its ok. There motherboard has 2 blue and 2 white ram slots. Should I put the 2 2GBs in the blue and the 2 1GBs in the white? How should I go about the order?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your GIGABYTE|GA-880GA-UD3H R should have come with a manual that lists in detail which RAM can be used and in which slots.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a list of the accepted memory on the motherboard companys website, but it only says that SOME of the accepted types are listed. What will happen if I install 2 ram sticks that aren't compatible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RAM varies by technology. speed and other variables.

Another way to investigate is to go the memory manufacturer sites (e.g. Crucial, Kingston, Your RAM Mfg). Most times they will have a cross reference of their modules to specific motherboards.

What will happen? Usually a bunch of beeps at post. The mobo manual will have a code translation in the Appendix. Usually the result is "RAM not supported" or similar.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is this on a 64bit operating system? 32bit OS's can only use a bit less than 4GB, so 6GB wouldn't work there. Generally mixing RAM can cause instability problems unless it's exactly the same, but you can try it. I would plug in the 2GB sticks and see how it goes. If OK, add the 1GB sticks. Most times, start with the RAM slots nearest the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oempcworld.com has a nice memory finder
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  7. RTFM baby! Page 16 of the manual:

"When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same colored DDR3 sockets for optimum performance."

i.e. Put the 2GBs in the #1 and 3 slots and the other in the remaining.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's true for DDR dual channel most times as all the modules need to be matched. Dual channel normally gives you about a ~10% performance increase. With a 64bit OS, the extra 2GB of RAM may make up for the ~10% increase available with dual channel. As mentioned before, 6GB is useless with a 32bit OS.
    Last edited by redwudz; 24th Sep 2010 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote