VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I got the Premiere CS4 update that includes the HD Widescreen Youtube settings.
    The problem is that lately, whether using the new AME preset or the old H.264 mp4 720p preset, that there's a bit of blockiness in the skies and backgrounds that wasn't there in the source footage.
    So, it's a bit messed up even before uploading to youtube and worse afterwards.

A close look in the backgrounds of this video will show the blockiness.
    The crispness is down overall on the whole video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vOcZLzhnw

My previous AME preset was named

HDTV 720p 23.976 High Quality

I changed the fps back to the original 30fps.

The new YT preset is named

Youtube Widescreen HD

Have followed the directions in this tutorial, but the slight blockiness persists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svYj9Rzadpg

Here's my settings.

Any tips?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since the artifacts show even before you upload to YT , it will only get worse after YT re-encodes it

Try a higher bitrate (maybe 12-15Mbps). Content like moving water is very difficult to compress. Check it before you upload it - if it's still not adequate, use even higher bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks so much for answering.
    I see a target bitrate and a maximum bitrate.
    Which of those should I be changing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Both need to change. The target bitrate cannot exceed the maximum bitrate

e.g.
    target 15Mb/s
    maximum 20Mb/s

You can change the level to 4.1 to access higher bitrates if that still isn't enough
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks.
    Will give that a try.
    Not sure how high I can or should raise that.
    Will try for 15/20 at first.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can examine it before you upload it. That's the best you can do. It will still look poor when uploaded to YT, because they will re-encode it with a low bitrate (about 2-3Mb/s), but at least it will be better than if you uploaded it with a lower bitrate. If you want better quality, use another video host
    Quote Quote  
  7. Would Vimeo be a better host?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It might be slightly better, it was the last time I checked. Eitherway they re-encode using lowish bitrates

If your video doesn't look that great directly out of adobe media encoder at 6Mb/s , it will only look worse when re-encoded to ~3Mb/s

Some tricks are to alter the content e.g. place intro sequences (like plain titles, intro/outro) , intercut with less action (less motion & water movement) so the content is less complex

Some encoders are more efficient (e.g. x264 will give you better quality at the same bitrate) - but you can compensate by uploading higher bitrates with Adobe. Eitherway the quality will deteriorate when YT or Vimeo re-encodes.

The only way to get maintain decent quality is to use a higher bitrate (e.g. host your own site, or use one that allows for higher bitrates). You cannot control what YT or vimeo do to the video.

Streaming has limits too. If you host your own site , a 5Mb/s stream will take forever to buffer if your users don't have high bandwidth solutions, and it can get expensive hosting your own videos
    Quote Quote  
  9. Encoding right now at 15/20.
    So, it's going to be a little while before I see the results.

I had tried to avoid hosting a lot of video on my own site.
    My current configuration of my main gallery site is with e107 bridged to Copppermine Gallery.
    It doesn't handle video that well.

Might try installing another php package if I can find one that will stream HD video well.
    Any you might recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry, not sure

Hosting bandwidth is the real problem here , it gets very expensive , very quickly. That's why people put up with YT and vimeo/vimeo plus
    Quote Quote  
  11. Encoded at 15/20 bitrates and already seeing an improvement.
    Though it's still slightly blocky in the water, it's a lot less blocky in the skies.
    Will see how far I can bump it up.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi,

I might have been using the wrong Premiere preset from the start.
    Instead of using HDV, now using AVCHD.

I am using two of these pencams for my dual stream footage.

PenCam Trio HD

Better results outputing in AME, but Youtube compression is still killing me.
    Still blocky, but the blocks are smaller.

Any tips?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The other techniques are inserting low complexity video (e.g. intro titles, outro segments), to allow bitrate redistribution , for the complex segments, but will only help a tiny bit. There are dozens of other threads that give tips on how to optimize YT videos, including denoising, stabilization (Because these things are detrimental to compression)

But weak link here is YT. You could upload uncompressed video, and YT will still destroy it. It still uses the low bitrate and you have no control over that.

If you want to share high quality videos, use a file host e.g. mediafire.com, sendspace.com , many others. So end users can download it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The other techniques are inserting low complexity video (e.g. intro titles, outro segments), to allow bitrate redistribution , for the complex segments, but will only help a tiny bit. There are dozens of other threads that give tips on how to optimize YT videos, including denoising, stabilization (Because these things are detrimental to compression)

But weak link here is YT. You could upload uncompressed video, and YT will still destroy it. It still uses the low bitrate and you have no control over that.

If you want to share high quality videos, use a file host e.g. mediafire.com, sendspace.com , many others. So end users can download it.
    Thanks for your response.
    Sorry it took so long to answer.
    Life goes on...

Will check out the optimization videos.

I guess I could host files on my own domain as downloads, but not sure they will play well there without finding a better video gallery software.
    Already wasted a day or so looking for that.
    Not really finding anything that matches with my server permissions.

Going to start a new thread here soon, because I am not sure I am using the right presets at the beginning of the project.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. What you want is a CDN (content delivery network) service that has enough bandwidth for video to feed your website

e.g. amazon cloudfront , gogrid, rackspace etc.... not sure what the equivalent is in Germany , but amazon has worldwide servers
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What you want is a CDN (content delivery network) service that has enough bandwidth for video to feed your website

e.g. amazon cloudfront , gogrid, rackspace etc.... not sure what the equivalent is in Germany , but amazon has worldwide servers
    Thanks.
    Checking it out.
    Had no idea such services existed.
    Quote Quote