VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Using Muxman
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    After a brief cost-benefit anaysis, I decided to resolve the problem by abandoning Nero Showtime on my notebook.

I uninstalled K-Lite, using a fabulous tool that safely lets you purge every related registry key (in less than a minute) then installed the AC3 filter. Nero Showtime must have become constipated because it still fails to play audio when playing a movie. MPC and KMPlayer play AC3 files just fine on all my systems. Reinstalling Nero ShowTime "successfully" made no difference. It won't even play video with MP3 audio. I suspect the problem is a compatibility issue with Vista, since even Sndvol32.exe fails.

I have used K-Lite for years, and none of the updated versions caused me any problems. I always select only the codecs I use (no--I don't check every codec). And I have K-Lite installed on two other systems, where Nero ShowTime works fine. Blimey!

Video editors--methinks--are the sharpest of geeks; since manipulating AV streams is so complex: it must be because about 90% of DVDRips are buggered to some degree, especially the disrespect for K-frames.

We all know that files are associated with apps, not apps to codecs; but K-lite uses the nomenclature, and in a very real sense the terminoligy is correct in this instance. All one needs to do is install K-Lite, select only one codec; and then, when prompted to "associate" the codec with recognized players during installation, exclude, say, WMP. The result? WMP will NOT play video that requires that codec, given that the codec is not one already standard in WMP of course.

By the way, if anyone wants a copy of the excellent registry editor I use just e-mail me and I'll be happy to share it. If I'm allowed to post the URL to my downloads page here, it would be more convenient for me.

Thanks to all for the lively discussion. After I update to Win7 and Nero 10, hopefully the problem I have...er, had, will be resolved. If not, I can live with MPC.

MPC!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    After a brief cost-benefit anaysis, I decided to resolve the problem by abandoning Nero Showtime on my notebook.

I uninstalled K-Lite, using a fabulous tool that safely lets you purge every related registry key (in less than a minute) then installed the AC3 filter. Nero Showtime must have become constipated because it still fails to play audio when playing a movie. MPC and KMPlayer play AC3 files just fine on all my systems. Reinstalling Nero ShowTime "successfully" made no difference. It won't even play video with MP3 audio. I suspect the problem is a compatibility issue with Vista, since even Sndvol32.exe fails.

I have used K-Lite for years, and none of the updated versions caused me any problems. I always select only the codecs I use (no--I don't check every codec). And I have K-Lite installed on two other systems, where Nero ShowTime works fine. Blimey!

Video editors--methinks--are the sharpest of geeks; since manipulating AV streams is so complex: it must be because about 90% of DVDRips are buggered to some degree, especially the disrespect for K-frames.

We all know that files are associated with apps, not apps to codecs; but K-lite uses the nomenclature, and in a very real sense the terminoligy is correct in this instance. All one needs to do is install K-Lite, select only one codec; and then, when prompted to "associate" the codec with recognized players during installation, exclude, say, WMP. The result? WMP will NOT play video that requires that codec, given that the codec is not one already standard in WMP of course.

By the way, if anyone wants a copy of the excellent registry editor I use just e-mail me and I'll be happy to share it. If I'm allowed to post the URL to my downloads page here, it would be more convenient for me.

Thanks to all for the lively discussion. After I update to Win7 and Nero 10, hopefully the problem I have...er, had, will be resolved. If not, I can live with MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

Quote Quote