VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've got some video clips (downloaded years ago, and I can't get alternatives anywhere...) that have their audio channels messed up, left channel should be right channel and right channel should be left channel. Their original format is mkv which does not concern me since I have tool (Xilisoft Video Converter) to convert them into any format.

This normally wouldn't be a problem if I play them on PC which I can manually change speakers' setting, however, I need to transfer them to iPod touch which has no function to change audio settings.

I tried Google and searched this forum as well, but there isn't a clear answer. So please help me to fix it, thanks!

Other software I have: CyberLink PowerDirector 8
    Last edited by paytonlow; 18th Sep 2010 at 09:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Demux the audio from the mkv with mkvextractgui2. Use an audio editor like audacity or goldwave to reverse the stereo channels, save as mp3. Add the new audio to the mkv with mkvmergegui.

Or maybe there is an all-in-one converter that can do that while you convert to mp4 ipod format...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, seems to be a painful process, but I'll try.

PS: The Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6 I use to convert mp4 files does not have reverse audio function unfortunately...
    Quote Quote  
  4. VirtualDub's advanced audio filtering will let you reverse channels but it probably won't be able to open your MKV files and direct stream copy them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swap.png
Views:	1406
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	3511

Audacity, with the ffmpeg plugin can read the audio directly from the video file, saving you one step of the demux, modify, remux, sequence.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by paytonlow View Post
    Hi, I've got some video clips (downloaded years ago, and I can't alternatives anywhere...)

Maybe. Maybe not. You may be correct about this, but we have people all the time who post here saying "I cannot find video X anywhere available for purchase" and it is actually available, just not in the country where they live.

I'm curious - unless maybe these are music videos and you are extremely familiar with the songs, how exactly do you know that the audio channels have been reversed?

On the off chance that these are Beatles videos because a true fan would indeed notice something like this...
    You probably can't buy them, I'll give you that, but I haven't seen a Beatles video yet that's not easily available on the internet via Bit Torrrent, Usenet, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I'm curious - unless maybe these are music videos and you are extremely familiar with the songs, how exactly do you know that the audio channels have been reversed?
    Well...It's very simple, my video clips are about a Japanese anime series known as Gundam Evolve, there're lots of gun fires in the videos. On screen the picture shows an explosion from left and I hear the sound from right channel.

There're torrents on the web, but nobody is currently seeding (and there's no certainty that they're different from mine...), so that's why I have to do it by myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VirtualDub's advanced audio filtering will let you reverse channels but it probably won't be able to open your MKV files and direct stream copy them.

Audacity, with the ffmpeg plugin can read the audio directly from the video file, saving you one step of the demux, modify, remux, sequence.
    Thanks for the help, it will be quite a while to finish them all, more than 12 clips, and at least 3 min length for each one...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by paytonlow View Post
    more than 12 clips, and at least 3 min length for each one...
    That's nothing.
    Quote Quote