VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am desperately trying to edit xdcam files with iMovie but nothing seems to work. I downloaded XDCAM transfer which is supposed to "rewrap" the files into .mov (by the way will rewrapping allow me to edit them in iMovie?) but its telling me I dont have the right codecs and I dont know where to find those.
    Please help I am about to cry for the first time in years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, iMovie doesn't directly support XDCAM. Nor does Final Cut Express.

You need to describe the resolution, container and bit rate of your XDCAM file. There is SD XDCAM, XDCAM-HD (Blu-Ray) and XDCAM-EX (MXF wrapper)

XDCAM is very similar to HDV but allows higher bit rates and resolutions. Unlike HDV which usually transfers as an m2t transport stream, XDCAM-EX is in an MXF pro container.

Final Cut Pro has utilities to convert XDCAM-EX to AIC or ProRes422.

Best editors for native XDCAM-EX editing are Sony Vegas Pro or Premiere Pro on a Windows PC. I'm not sure of Premiere Pro on the Mac.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply, ed.

The computer I'm using at work to edit with only has iMovie on it so does that mean I'm pretty much screwed? I tried the demo version of Calibrated{Q} XD Decode in combination with Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import but it leaves an unsightly watermark unless I cough up $170 to get the full version. The company I'm working for is not going to pitch in that much money for one measly video that's going to end up being 5 minutes long on their youtube channel. Is there any way I could convert the files for free or at least cheap? Thanks again for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boriega View Post
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply, ed.

The computer I'm using at work to edit with only has iMovie on it so does that mean I'm pretty much screwed? I tried the demo version of Calibrated{Q} XD Decode in combination with Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import but it leaves an unsightly watermark unless I cough up $170 to get the full version. The company I'm working for is not going to pitch in that much money for one measly video that's going to end up being 5 minutes long on their youtube channel. Is there any way I could convert the files for free or at least cheap? Thanks again for your help
    You could have the original shooter or an external service bureau (dub house) do a conversion to HDV (HD) or DV (SD) that i Movie can handle. What is the extension on the current file?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote