VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. During this last month I have been through the frustrations of trying to burn and play a DVD correctly. I have managed to identify most of the problems but I still have ones that just don't make sense to me.

1) Every Dvd that I have burned had some weird stuff appearing at the menu and at the first minutes of the first chapter, I didn't realize that it was just the first minutes until later, the only solution I had to this problem is burning a 5 minute video before the chapters and then the rest will be clean, this weird stuff is pretty hard to explain, they are like random pixels appearing with random colours.

2) None of the DVDs I burned showed the full screen, I managed to add black lines by setting correctly the aspect ratio but even with the black lines the image doesn't show full, I do not want resizing or cutting, I want black lines, what appears is a mixture of cutting and black lines.

This 2 problems have appeared with ConvertXtoDVD and nero9 Vision.
    In this case Im trying to burn a 16:9 to a dvd to play on a 4:3 maybe that will help.
    The resolution is 704x396.
    And about choosing to encode in pal ntsc or automatic, what should I choose, because my tv and dvd play both.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forums. For success in burning DVDs, we recommend the following:

ONLY use Taiyo Yuden or Vebatim discs. If you must burn DL discs, ONLY use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs.
    Use ImgBurn (it's free) for burning.
    Try burning at slower speeds and not the maximum.

I can't help you with ConvertXtoDVD as I don't use it, but if you follow my 3 suggestions you may find that your problems go away.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I do not understand this
    ONLY use Taiyo Yuden or Vebatim discs. If you must burn DL discs, ONLY use Verbatim DVD+R DL discs.
    Could you please explain? What is tayo yuden and DL discs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are brands of blank DVD discs. They are the most reliable brands. "DL" means double layer. If your video file size exceeds 4.3GB, you need to go for the higher-capacity DL discs.

Your choice of NTSC or PAL are determined by 2 things: what country you are in and which standard is your source video.

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think 704x396 is DVD-compliant.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So the weird pixels were because of the dvd? I bought some verbatim+R and will try to burn them with imgburn-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You haven't said anything about your source, although I assume from the use of ConvertxtoDVD and NeroVision that is it just downloaded avi files. If these are corrupt - a common problem - then you can get encoding issues like the ones you describe.

The 'not showing all the picture' problem may be overscan, in which case you may be getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Every TV (even new ones) hide the edges of the image to some degree. The older and/or cheaper the TV, the larger this area usually is. It can be as much as 5 - 10% of the image. This happens on every DVD and TV show you watch, and always has. You just haven' known about it before, so you haven't cared or worried about it.

You can't stop it happening. You can minimise it to some degree by putting a border all the way around the image, thus making the image smaller and pushing it in toward the centre. You can do this in ConvertXtoDVD. I have no idea if NeroVision can do it, and don't really care to find out. Note, however, that this overscan area varies form TV to TV, so after adding borders you may still lose edges on one TV, yet see the borders on another TV. This is something you just have to live with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    You haven't said anything about your source, although I assume from the use of ConvertxtoDVD and NeroVision that is it just downloaded avi files. If these are corrupt - a common problem - then you can get encoding issues like the ones you describe.

The 'not showing all the picture' problem may be overscan, in which case you may be getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. Every TV (even new ones) hide the edges of the image to some degree. The older and/or cheaper the TV, the larger this area usually is. It can be as much as 5 - 10% of the image. This happens on every DVD and TV show you watch, and always has. You just haven' known about it before, so you haven't cared or worried about it.

You can't stop it happening. You can minimise it to some degree by putting a border all the way around the image, thus making the image smaller and pushing it in toward the centre. You can do this in ConvertXtoDVD. I have no idea if NeroVision can do it, and don't really care to find out. Note, however, that this overscan area varies form TV to TV, so after adding borders you may still lose edges on one TV, yet see the borders on another TV. This is something you just have to live with.
    No im sorry to tell you but it doesn't happen to everything I watch, subtitles are cut .
    What would happen if the .avi files are corrupted because the dvds files play perfectly on my laptop but don't on my tv.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Imgburn doesn't encode my files into mpeg-2 and burning files with imgburn obviously doesn't fix the problem.
    ty for trying though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by zubiri View Post
    No im sorry to tell you but it doesn't happen to everything I watch, subtitles are cut .
    It happens to everything you watch on TV. You just don't notice it with some material. Televisions normally overscan -- they don't show you the edges of the picture. The amount of overscan can vary from a few percent (at each edge) to 10 percent or more. Some TVs have non-overscan modes, especially the better HDTVs.

Originally Posted by zubiri View Post
    What would happen if the .avi files are corrupted because the dvds files play perfectly on my laptop but don't on my tv.
    You don't have a problem with overscan on the computer because computers don't overscan (some DVD player software does have the option to simulate overscan though -- because there is often junk at the edges of the frame). You would be very unhappy if you couldn't see the Start bar at the bottom of the computer screen.

As was pointed out, if you need to see hard subtitles in a video you need to shrink the frame and add black borders to the edges. That way the black borders are hidden by overscan, not the edges of the original video. This problem comes about because people who hard sub videos for the computers don't consider overscan on a TV. They put the subs too close to the edge of the frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Sep 2010 at 19:20.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It happens to everything you watch on TV. You just don't notice it with some material. Televisions normally overscan -- they don't show you the edges of the picture. The amount of overscan can vary from a few percent (at each edge) to 10 percent or more. Some TVs have non-overscan modes, especially the better HDTVs.

You don't have a problem with overscan on the computer because computers don't overscan (some DVD player software does have the option to simulate overscan though -- because there is often junk at the edges of the frame). You would be very unhappy if you couldn't see the Start bar at the bottom of the computer screen.

As was pointed out, if you need to see hard subtitles in a video you need to shrink the frame and add black borders to the edges. That way the black borders are hidden by overscan, not the edges of the original video. This problem comes about because people who hard sub videos for the computers don't consider overscan on a TV. They put the subs too close to the edge of the frame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area
    What I am trying to know is what if apart from the overscan some borders are being shrunk, because I have seen tue menu and compared to what the original menu was and it was a lot being cut, sometimes more than the last dvd or less.

What simple program could I use to add black borders where it doesn't loose quality?
    Last edited by zubiri; 14th Sep 2010 at 18:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can only add borders during encoding, therefore you want to do it when you are converting to mpeg-2 for DVD. If you want to keep them as AVI files then you will have to re-encode back to AVI. Every time you re-encode you risk losing quality.

Most of the common converters - ConvertXtoDVD, DVD Flick, AVStoDVD - have settings to add borders automatically when encoding. If you do your own encoding then a simple avisynth script, produced by FitCD, will add borders and resize correctly.

If you want to convert AVI to AVI with borders, use virtualdub and it's resize filter. Don't resize the image, just add borders all round, then encode at a slightly higher bitrate than the source.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by zubiri View Post
    What I am trying to know is what if apart from the overscan some borders are being shrunk, because I have seen tue menu and compared to what the original menu was and it was a lot being cut, sometimes more than the last dvd or less.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but without seeing some sample images it's hard to speculate on what could be going wrong,
    Quote Quote  
  13. The only thing I need now is a way to add black borders during before or after without or with inperceptible quality loss. The only way I have is with windows movie maker but it adds to much and looses quality, and with DVD flick but it encodes waayy too slow.
    Guns could you explain me how to add borders with virtualdub?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look for a free plugin called Border Control (for VirtualDub). Fantastic plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  15. http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee100/Captn_Zubiri/Snapshot_20100927.jpg
    This is how the dvd appears on my dvd player.
    http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee100/Captn_Zubiri/asss.jpg
    this is how it plays on my laptop or how it should appear on the dvd.

I am using dvd flick to burn this. May this be due to the DC precision value of 11?.
    I have burned as pal and ntsc. My dvd player and my tv play both.
    This has happened to me before but for some reason i changed some settings and it played on the right colour.
    Any help?
    Quote Quote