VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a laptop with HDMI support and I connected it to my Samsung LCD TV.

I have this video playback problem on the HDTV.

When there is motion in the video, the video tears on some parts of it until the motion stops. It only appears on the LCD TV. It happens on any video I play.

It tears like this:

I use Windows Media Player and have also tried Quicktime Player but same problem. My video card is ATI Radeon.

When I check the "Info" button on the remote, where it displays "1440x900 75 Hz". anyway, my resolution on my laptop is 1366x768.

I can't identify if my laptop is giving the output as progressive or interlace. How will I know this and change this?

But I don't think this is about interlacing. I don't have problems about anything else, just this 'tearing'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your laptop should have display settings. Your TV manual should list the resolutions and frame rates supported on the HDMI and VGA ports. You need to set the display card to dual monitor mode with the HDMI port as the second monitor. Then set the HDMI out to recommended TV resolutions. The best quality resolution to use matches the TV native display resolution. The most commonly supported HDMI settings are 1920x1080i/29.97 or 1280x720p/59.94.

The Samsung HDTV will overscan unless set to "just scan" mode.

Blu-ray playback from a laptop will have special pass-through settings. See the manual.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. With dual outputs usually only one has "vertical sync". Try making the HDTV the primary monitor. If that doesn't work I think you're out of luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how can i change the settings of HDMI output of my laptop? and how can I make it either progressive or interlaced? i can't find it.

EDIT: oh i got it. It's on the ATI Catalyst Center. Thank you very much guys!
    Last edited by dzsoul; 13th Sep 2010 at 21:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dzsoul View Post
    how can i change the settings of HDMI output of my laptop? and how can I make it either progressive or interlaced? i can't find it.
    Every laptop differs. Read the docs or call the manufacturer support line.
    Quote Quote  
  6. On the one computer I have you change primary monitor by going to Display Manager and using a pulldown in the multi-monitor configuration section. The pulldown shows something like "Monitor A + Monitor B" or "Monitor B + Monitor A". On another you right click on one of the monitors in the dialog where you set their physical arrangement and select Primary from the context menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On my Compaq laptop with NVidea display chipset, the NVIDIA Control Panel shows up when one right clicks on the desktop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yeah i already got it guys. I found it on my ATI Catalyst Center. Thanks a bunch!

But there are so many varieties in the list I can choose:

this is how it is listed there:

720p50 optimized (1152x648 @ 50 Hz)
    720p50 standard (1280x720 @ 50 Hz)
    720p60 optimized (1152x648 @ 60 Hz)
    720p60 standard (1280x720 @ 60 Hz)
    1080p24 standard (1920x1080 @ 24 Hz)
    1080p24 optimized (1776x1000 @ 24 Hz)
    1080p25 standard (1920x1080 @ 25 Hz)
    1080p25 optimized (1776x1000 @ 25 Hz)
    1080p50 standard (1920x1080 @ 50 Hz)
    1080p50 optimized (1776x1000 @ 50 Hz)
    1080p60 standard (1920x1080 @ 60 Hz)
    1080p60 optimized (1776x1000 @ 60 Hz)

I chose 1080p standard at 60Hz and so far it is working well. My laptop display is at 1366x768 at 60Hz.

I really don't get whether I choose optimized or standard. If you guys can suggest which works the best then tell me. Thanks.

@jagabo

I wasn't able to make HDTV as the primary monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use the resolution that matches the TV's native display resolution. Probably 1080p60 standard 1920x1080 @60 Hz.

Set your Samsung to "just scan" mode for that input.
    Quote Quote