VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm planning to digitize some very valuable video tapes using the canopus 110 through firewire into Sony Vegas.

My friend had a great idea "why not back it up on a DVD recorder at the same time the tape is making a pass"
    It sounds like a good idea to me. I'm using a JVC HR 9600 with S video outputs on the front and back. Are the S video and audio ports on the front of the deck for going IN our are they going OUT, and if they are both going OUT will the signal be coming out of both at the same time. Or is there any other way to do this, with a splitter or something that won't degrade the signal to the computer or the standalone DVD recorder. Or is there any other way I can do this. It seems like a great way to have a back up in case I lose the data from the computer or some other technical catastraphe occurs. I know I could use the regular video out from the deck to the DVD recorder. Since these are mostley S VHS tapes would I lose much quality that way. And do the S video outs and regular (yellow) video out put out a signal at the same time. And since there might be only one set of audio out jacks would I be losing audio quality if used a splitter for those (If the front ones are in and not out).

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No splitter required. You can send the analog S-Video out and audio out from the ADVC-110 to the DVD recorder. Normally these are used for monitoring.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Duh......thanks, a simple answer to a long conveluted question. Great !
    Quote Quote  
  4. However, there is one question I still have!

I have the firewire going into the machine coming out of the front of the unit because the firewire cable that came with the power adapter to the 110 has a four pin plug that fits into the front. And the firewire port on my computer is the same size as the six pin end of the cable, so I must use that for the PC. Does it matter if the DV signal comes out of the back or the front of the 110 unit for getting the best quality into the computer. And if I need to come out of the back of the 110 for going into the PC can I use the six pin to six pin cable that originally came with the 110. Canopus support said that once you plug in the power adapter it disables the unit from drawing power from the fire wire port (I've already blown out one firewire port) that why I got the power adapter. I would imagine if the 110 was getting power from two sources it could create more problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fuzzblaster View Post
    However, there is one question I still have!

I have the firewire going into the machine coming out of the front of the unit because the firewire cable that came with the power adapter to the 110 has a four pin plug that fits into the front. And the firewire port on my computer is the same size as the six pin end of the cable, so I must use that for the PC. Does it matter if the DV signal comes out of the back or the front of the 110 unit for getting the best quality into the computer. And if I need to come out of the back of the 110 for going into the PC can I use the six pin to six pin cable that originally came with the 110. Canopus support said that once you plug in the power adapter it disables the unit from drawing power from the fire wire port (I've already blown out one firewire port) that why I got the power adapter. I would imagine if the 110 was getting power from two sources it could create more problems.
    The 6 vs 4 pin Firewire ports are identical for "quality". They are both bi-directional.

The 2 extra pins are for power. Best to not "hot" change the plugs. Unplug the power supply before moving connections.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote