VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just quoting here what someone saido n a forum regardings degradation of MP3 files.

Maybe you could tell me if this guy is wrong and why?

Thank you.

"Mp3s are Lossy which means the file degrades each time it's copied, same as a jpeg image, this is obviously important for shared files that may be many generations old, not such a big deal if you've ripped and encoded the mp3s yourself"

"I don't think listening affects it but yes any time you copy the file it degrades"

Now i always thought only Re encoding degraded quality?

Surely this fella must be wrong. right?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    right.
    if copying a file changed it then things like ZIP files would corrupt themselves!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Copying MP3 files does not change them at all. What does degrade the quality is decompressing the MP3 file and compressing it again to MP3. Each time you compress with a lossy codec you reduce the quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SE14man View Post
    If he is saying that an MP3 file degrades....for instance...every time you move it from one folder to another, put it to a memory stick and someone copies it from that memory stick, or even every time the MP3 file is played then he is more than wrong....he is an idiot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now i always thought only Re encoding degraded quality?
    Correct

Correct.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I love this story. People do get the strangest ideas in their heads.

During the early nineties an IT lecturer at an English university told his students, in all seriousness, that computer virus could jump between floppy discs if they were touching each other in the same storage unit.

When CDs first came out I was told at great length by an acquaintance that the laser wore a groove in the surface of the CD when you played it, so CDs would never last as long as albums.

Sadly, for some people, once these ideas get fixed in their heads, you will never dissuade them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Sadly, for some people, once these ideas get fixed in their heads, you will never dissuade them.
    Like dvdsham?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/262036-Buy-DVD-s-with-silver-recording-side?p=20139...=1#post2013933
    Quote Quote  
  8. this is the dumbest of them all...just made my day.

when you copy digital, you copy BIT BY BIT....unless those bits degrade from 0 and 1 to something else, then there is degradation.

idiots

Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LOL!!!
    Yeah i do believe this is the first time i ever heard that!!
    LMAO!!!

Please post a link to that thread!!
    LOL!!

Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    During the early nineties an IT lecturer at an English university told his students, in all seriousness, that computer virus could jump between floppy discs if they were touching each other in the same storage unit.

When CDs first came out I was told at great length by an acquaintance that the laser wore a groove in the surface of the CD when you played it, so CDs would never last as long as albums.
    That first one is just beyond even common sense

I remember when CD's first came out this one guy used to say how you could drop them on the ground, scratch them up, put out a cigarette on one and wipe it off and it would still play
    I was like, lets test that theory on one of YOUR cd's......
    Of course he would not....
    LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lenti_75 View Post
    this is the dumbest of them all...just made my day.

when you copy digital, you copy BIT BY BIT....unless those bits degrade from 0 and 1 to something else, then there is degradation.

idiots

sorry but when you copy a file from one place to another, it is possible, though rare, you have one or more bit flips during the transmission. This is a kind of data corruption. You can test it by copying a large number of files and check their integrity before and after, and you can try to copy a huge file (maybe to 5GB in single file) and do an integrity check, you might see a corruption. Yes- BIT BY BIT corruption
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Really ?!?!?!
    A 4 year old thread
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Really ?!?!?!
    A 4 year old thread
    Why not, he has the brain capacity of a 4 year old.
    Quote Quote