VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Sorry if this is posted on the wrong section. I am going to buy a blu-ray player for a very good friend of mine, and I have no idea which one to get, especially because I don't own a blu-ray player myself.
    My budget is around 150 bucks. I have looked in a couple of places and I have seen that they have some for that price. And they seem to be pretty decent... I guess.

Anyway, if there are any good deals out there, things that I should keep in mind before buying, brands that you would recommend, or any websites with a decent selection, please let me know. Any help would be extremely welcome.
    Thanks a lot!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!
    I am considering getting this guy:
    Toshiba Blu-ray Disc™ Player Model No: BDX2500
    From here:
    http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=37616#page
    Looks like a pretty good deal. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does your friend care anything about region free playback of DVDs or BluRay discs? If you ask "What is region free playback?" then the answer is "no". If your friend does care about this, since you live in the USA you'll have to look into getting an Oppo or Momitus BluRay player. Note that Oppo requires you to change the hardware yourself to support region free playback. The Momitsu should already be set up ready to go by the reseller.

If your friend cares nothing about this, the only advice I can give you is that I would avoid Sony players. Some people care about playing other file types like Divx, MKV, etc. and Sony doesn't support that kind of thing.

If your friend lives outside of the USA and Canada, I would not recommend that you buy a player here and bring it to them. Long story short - you'll regret it if you do that due to DVD region issues.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot! My friend does not really care about region free playback. As far as I know, he doesn't own a movie from outside the US. And we all live in the US, so that should not be an issue.
    Are there any other brands or places that you would suggest?
    Quote Quote